Windows 10 SAMBA connection problem; proven to be on the windows side.

rotwang

I have a linux share on a freshly installed newest version fedora 27 box. And I dnf'ed the latest standard samba.

Windows 10 (pro) can't connect to it. I've tried for literally 20 hours accumulated over the past 10 days.

Windows is to blame. How do I know? Because another linux server can connect to it with smbclient totally fine, no problems at all.

Occam's razor; windows is the problem.

I have firewalls and anti-virus turned off on both (well, all three).

I've configured samba on linux servers many times over 15 years. Never had this much trouble.

What could win10 be doing so terribly stupid that would stop this?

I'll paste my smb.conf for you if you want, but it's kind of moot, right. The fact that both linux servers can connect to the other, but win 10 can't.... makes it windows' fault. And again, no firewalls.

Well one thing I have in my smb.conf in attempts to fix this-

max protocol = SMB3

So presumably that rules out a protocol disagreement. So ruling that out, this is definititely something wrong on the windows side,

Hi Rotwang,

The only thing I can think of is checking which SMB protocols are active on the windows 10 machine. You can do this by looking at windows features. The only other thing I can think of is pinging the name of the box/ip and seeing if the machine is communicating. You may have tried these already.....

Well if it works from another Linux device then the share and hosting Linux device seems to be fine. I would suggest a wireshark capture from the Windows device
  • Download wireshark
  • Set the display filter to smb || smb2
  • Make a connection attempt
  • Stop the capture
  • Export specific packets...
  • Make sure to export ALL - Displayed
  • Upload for analysis

Well if it works from another Linux device then the share and hosting Linux device seems to be fine. I would suggest a wireshark capture from the Windows device
  • Download wireshark
  • Set the display filter to smb || smb2
  • Make a connection attempt
  • Stop the capture
  • Export specific packets...
  • Make sure to export ALL - Displayed
  • Upload for analysis

Wireshark hangs before I can even click on anything. I rebooted. Same behavior. "Finding Local Interfaces"

It's not this:

Possible Bug? Wireshark hangs at Initialising Tap Listeners stage on first run - Wireshark Q&A

Oh I got it wireshark with this (FYI for others):

Wireshark does not respond when attempting to run it (Windows 10 32 & 64 bit version) - Wireshark Q&A

I'll look at the results later today

Last edited:
Ran into something similar trying to connect Win10 notebook to an ASUS router with USB drive. Turned out that MS had DISABLED "SMBv1", which is exactly what the ASUS was using! Had to find "Turn Windows features on or off", then RE-enable SMB1/CIFS. The following article tells how to DISABLE it, but just reverse the "on/off" settings to enable it. See Disable SMB1. So, Luke13TH might be on to something!

Thanks, didn't work. I ran powershell as admin and did:

Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters" SMB1 -Type DWORD -Value 1 –Force

Still can't connect to the share.

Back