Windows 7 Sapphire HD 5670 Graphics. What do I really need?

Elmer

Extraordinary Member
I upped my game and splashed out on a Graphics Card for my PC in January. Sapphire Radeon 5670 512mb. At the time I just used the setup on the provided disc (yeah, I know, I've always told others to update their graphics drivers!!).

Anyway, today I became the proud(ish) owner of a new PC case (Antec 100, very nice. And cooler than my old box). I thought I'd update my graphics drivers while I was at the "update gate" and so I downloaded the latest CCC from AMD. And yes, I did use Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode. ;)

What I'm wondering is: How much of the install stuff do I really need? I don't play games or watch videos (or very, very, seldom). The graphics card was only bought to upgrade the on board graphics so I had some oomph behind me when using Photoshop.

As is, I haven't installed the Catalyst Control Center (should I be?), but I'm wondering about the other stuff like:

AMD APP SDK Runtime.

HTMI/DP Audio Driver (I already have (newer) Realtek Audio drivers).

Avivo.

Hydravision.

AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding.

AMD Media Foundation Decoders.

Help appreciated and may save me hours of googling!!

AMD APP SDK Runtime is for compatible accelerated software apps that can make use of the GPU as a faster alternative to your CPU.

HTMI/DP Audio Driver- ATI now come with HDMI HD audio card built in as standard, handy for outputting audio along with video on a single HDMI socket to a big HDTV (you'd be amazed that many Nvidia cards still dont have that option)

AVIVO is used for transcoding video files using partial GPU assisted help to save a lot of time

Hydravision is for multi monitor support

AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding - see avivo

AMD Media Foundation Decoders - see avivo

To be honest for the difference in 50mb from the full packaged catalyst is pointless.. easier to get the all in one pack.

Last edited:
Thanks Highwayman, Saved me nit picking, as you say, over 50mb!! Would I be better off installing the Catalyst Centre and if I did, do I really need it to start with Windows?

Aah, for the simple life of on-board graphics!! :D

Thanks Highwayman, Saved me nit picking, as you say, over 50mb!! Would I be better off installing the Catalyst Centre and if I did, do I really need it to start with Windows?

Aah, for the simple life of on-board graphics!! :D

well the CCC is merely to give you a user interface to adjust the settings, and access to features like AVIVO, the actual drivers can be used entirely seperately

Back
Top Bottom