Windows 7 Sata and Ide hdds together?

scansoft

Hi,
I am running winows 7 (very successfuly i might add) anyway i have a compaq desktop quite old which has a 160GB SATA HDD i want to add a 160GB IDE HDD (because its free) but no matter what changes i make in the bios the machine always boots from the IDE which i only want to use for storage while my os is on the sata hdd..

Any help ideals would be appreciated thankyou.

Hi,
I am running winows 7 (very successfuly i might add) anyway i have a compaq desktop quite old which has a 160GB SATA HDD i want to add a 160GB IDE HDD (because its free) but no matter what changes i make in the bios the machine always boots from the IDE which i only want to use for storage while my os is on the sata hdd..

Any help ideals would be appreciated thankyou.

Hi scansoft
Unless your Bios has an option to allow you to boot from SATA and select the SATA drive then I'm afraid
you will have to re-install Win 7 on your IDE HDD and use the SATA drive for storage. If you are able to select the SATA drive in the Bios you should be able to move it into the 1st Boot device. Hope this is of some help, but I am not familiar with Compaq PCs but most Bioses of the past few years allow boot selection.

Stransky
(Douglas B)

Hi scansoft
Unless your Bios has an option to allow you to boot from SATA and select the SATA drive then I'm afraid
you will have to re-install Win 7 on your IDE HDD and use the SATA drive for storage. If you are able to select the SATA drive in the Bios you should be able to move it into the 1st Boot device. Hope this is of some help, but I am not familiar with Compaq PCs but most Bioses of the past few years allow boot selection.

Stransky
(Douglas B)

That worked for me thankyou...i think next time ill just go and buy a bigger hdd:D

A little late, but did you try setting the jumper on the IDE drive to slave? And also attaching it to the 2nd connector/slot on the IDE cable (1st slot connector being your IDE DVD/CD rom)?

Back
Top Bottom