Windows 10 Scammer Thought I Was Easy Prey

rjlocal22

Attention all members.
Today, I tapped on a few links while searching for recipes. On about the 4th link, a " Warning Message " appeared to come from an authorized microsoft repair company. The warning stated that my computer will be locked if I shut it down and that I should contact this number ( 1-888-435-8666 ) to repair any damage.
The person who answered stated that he would check my computer after I allowed him to take control of my computer. After going through a 12 minute explanation on how this warning occured, he ran a scan and said a trogan and a virus was placed on my computer and that it could be fixed. I was suspicious from the beginning.
So finally he told me the name of a software called " Sonic Wall TZ 400 " would take care of the problem. The listed price for the software would be over $1100.00.
But because I am a windows user, he said I could download a manual version for $600.00 or a automatic version for $800.00. I knew then that this was a scam.
So I said why would I pay that kind of money, when i can buy a new laptop computer for less? Then he said, that it would not work because my IP address has also been affected and a new computer would have the same problems. So I hung up on him and proceeded to run my protection software just to be safe. I ran Ccleaner, Microsofts malicious software removal tool and then ran McAfee. none of these detected any thing wrong with my computer.
Also if anyone knows if giving another person control of your computer, can they get access to your passwords which are all in the documents section?

So beware everybody, if you see a warning message with microsofts name on it, suddenly appear after tapping on a link.

Last edited:
Giving them access to your computer could potentially allow them to download files from your computer, drop anything on your computer including malware. With RATs they could then remotely access your system without your permission.

For the most part these scams are pretty low tech, but you may want to scan your system and change your password to be safe.

Giving them access to your computer could potentially allow them to download files from your computer, drop anything on your computer including malware. With RATs they could then remotely access your system without your permission.

For the most part these scams are pretty low tech, but you may want to scan your system and change your password to be safe.

Thanks, there are 10 websites where items can be purchased. I will change the passwords and I hope you are right about the scammer being low tech or I might now be a victim of a unauthorized purchase. I did run my protective software. My banking password is not included and is safe. I also removed remote access to my computer.

As a further precaution, I took advantage of a free password security feature as a part of McAfee Virus program; whereas one can
place all their passwords in a vault that can only be accessed by another password. So now my passwords are removed from the
documents section and are now in the vault.

Attention all members.
Today, I tapped on a few links while searching for recipes. On about the 4th link, a " Warning Message " appeared to come from an authorized microsoft repair company. The warning stated that my computer will be locked if I shut it down and that I should contact this number ( 1-888-435-8666 ) to repair any damage.
The person who answered stated that he would check my computer after I allowed him to take control of my computer. After going through a 12 minute explanation on how this warning occured, he ran a scan and said a trogan and a virus was placed on my computer and that it could be fixed. I was suspicious from the beginning.
So finally he told me the name of a software called " Sonic Wall TZ 400 " would take care of the problem. The listed price for the software would be over $1100.00.
But because I am a windows user, he said I could download a manual version for $600.00 or a automatic version for $800.00. I knew then that this was a scam.
So I said why would I pay that kind of money, when i can buy a new laptop computer for less? Then he said, that it would not work because my IP address has also been affected and a new computer would have the same problems. So I hung up on him and proceeded to run my protection software just to be safe. I ran Ccleaner, Microsofts malicious software removal tool and then ran McAfee. none of these detected any thing wrong with my computer.
Also if anyone knows if giving another person control of your computer, can they get access to your passwords which are all in the documents section?

So beware everybody, if you see a warning message with microsofts name on it, suddenly appear after tapping on a link.
This was a total scam. Obviously the biggest mistake was calling the number and following any of these instructions. For full security, I personally recommend ESET Smart Security + Malwarebytes on important systems. However, any anti-virus will do, I simply have had in person experiences with people who work at ESET and I know that they work very hard and are extraordinarily talented and professional. They take it seriously and are very pro-active. Unfortunately, these types of scams are all over the place, and predatory when it comes to older Windows systems that haven't been updated (especially, unfortunately, in offices that have been left with no upgrade path and are still running XP). You might also want to try Spybot Search & Destroy. Here is the thing.. once your system is rooted or hit with an attack like this, there is no telling how bad the system modification may be. In such a situation where administrator privileges/elevation of privilege has taken place, if you cannot 100% ascertain that the system has not still been compromised, you should, really, reformat the entire system. Its unfortunate, but this is what goes on.

Update:

The McAfee Security program is doing a fine job of blocking unwanted instrusions. But the scammer is trying hard to get past their protection as I could see their many attempts from the security reports. Then I had connection problem with my ISP. I got it fixed and they gave me a new IP address.
So this eliminated the instrusions as the scammer tries to make contact using the same email that contains the old IP.
This is the way I understand it if I got it right.

If he dropped a RAT on your computer it could easily send them your new IP.

I'll watch out for it as I check my security frequently. The scammer uses many IP addresses that begin with 154 and only the last two or four numbers are the only one's that change.

Back