Windows 7 Screen Problems after "Test Mode"

thepacster04

Hello there everyone. In desperate need of some help, and hopefully I can find some answers here.

I was trying to install a program perhaps an hour ago, and it looked as though it wouldn't function properly unless in Test Mode. So I looked around a bit on google for the appropriate command prompts, put them in, then rebooted my laptopl.

To my dismay the screen is now a mess. Half of the screen is black with vertical lines running through it, and the other half is visible. But the screen in its entirety has inverted colors so it's hard to make heads or tales of anything. I managed to turn Test Mode off, but the screen did not return to its original state. System restore has also failed to fix my problem.

I'm hoping this doesn't mean my laptop has finally bit the dust, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

If you have done a cold boot (shut it all the way down) and it did not come back, you may need to reinstall the video drivers.

Any insight on exactly what you did that seems to have caused the problem?

If you have done a cold boot (shut it all the way down) and it did not come back, you may need to reinstall the video drivers.

Any insight on exactly what you did that seems to have caused the problem?

I haven't the foggiest idea why it turned out this way.

I opened up cmd.exe as administrator.

Typed in the command to turn on Testing Mode

(bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON)

Then reset the computer.

That's it. :frown:

Looks like you have altered the BCD Store on your system and will probalby have to change it back. You will need to boot in a way to get into a command prompt window.

So, if your F8 key works, you can do it there, or the Windows made recovery, or an install DVD. Once there a couple of things come to mind. One, use bcdboot C:\Windows to replace the BCD store. The second is to use the command prompt to remove or turn the option off.

A Startup Repair may also wipe the entry, but not sure.

If you get into a command window, just type bcdedit and look for an entry as you set. I will continue to try to find that command, but I have never seen it before, and had no reason to, as far as I know.

Looks like you have altered the BCD Store on your system and will probalby have to change it back. You will need to boot in a way to get into a command prompt window.

So, if your F8 key works, you can do it there, or the Windows made recovery, or an install DVD. Once there a couple of things come to mind. One, use bcdboot C:\Windows to replace the BCD store. The second is to use the command prompt to remove or turn the option off.

A Startup Repair may also wipe the entry, but not sure.

If you get into a command window, just type bcdedit and look for an entry as you set. I will continue to try to find that command, but I have never seen it before, and had no reason to, as far as I know.

Well, someone was kind enough to lend me a monitor to hook my laptop up to, and surprisingly it's crystal clear on the external monitor. I managed to turn the option back off, but the screen is still messed up.

I'm starting to think the reboot coincidentally coincided with hardware failure (the monitor), as even when I start up, the system logos and everything still only show half the screen with strange inverted colors.

Well, it does seem a coincidence that you are installing a program that will not work and then your monitor goes wonky.. But if you now assume it is an equipment failure, maybe a couple of things. I would probably shut it down, take the battery out and let it sit overnight. Maybe something will break loose.

Is there a chance the program you were trying to install is still starting up and causing the problem? It still happens in Safe Mode?

I had a Dell system once where the monitor colors were being presented incorrectly. An external monitor looked fine and changing the laptop LCD screen showed no improvement. So it was the onboard video causing the problemand a new motherboard fixed it. My point is, there may be more than one possibility.

Back