Windows 7 Screen Resolution change, border around screen, etc

Alex10000

Hi, for the past month i have had an issue where before the log in screen would show, it would be a blank screen with a cursor, that i could move. (It worked normal in safe mode) I normally would just ignore this problem and it seemed to go back to normal after a little while. Well yesterday it didn't go away, so i went online looking for a solution, in safe mode. I've read to
disable/enable drivers, re-install drivers, just plenty of things. And the result of all this is that my screen resolution wont go back to normal, and there is a black border around my screen, around a half inch. Also, my computer has been running EXTREME slow lately. Any help would be welcome. Thanks!

Hi Alex,

there are a few things you could try:

System restore: Turn your pc back to a time before you made the changes. Found via the control panel or open the Start Menu, type rstrui.exe in the search box, and press Enter.

Screen: Right click on the desktop and hit 'personalise' in the revealed dialogue box. Near the bottom left of the next screen click 'Desktop Background' and then choose either 'fit, stretch or fill to cure your black borders.

System slowdown: This could be down to a number of things but we'll start with the most obvious, namely virus activity or bot activity. Run your anti virus product. If you don't have a security app running then try Microsoft security essentials. It's free and good at it's job. Along side that I'd also run malwarebytes for a almost bomb proof set up.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free Antivirus for Windows

Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

Another cleaner to consider is Ccleaner. It's more thorough than the windows disk clean and has more functionality:

Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide!

Back