Windows 8 Secure Boot seems to be working...

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I have been playing around with the Secure Boot feature to see if I could tell what properties it might show. Currently, to enable the full Secure Boot feature, I have to use the on board graphics, since my Graphics card does not have a UEFI Op Rom.

So far, I know Windows 7 will not boot on my machine when the Windows 8 Secure Boot bios settings are enabled, which means disabling the CSM (Compatibility Support Module). When the Windows 8 Secure Boot is on and I try to Boot Windows 7, I am returned to the Bios with a notification that some settings have been reset for compatibility. Windows 7 boots fine after that.

Because many systems will have devices that will not meet the Windows 8 standards, like Graphic Cards, the secure boot may really only be fully available on new systems.

But the CSM seems to be a way to bridge the gap by ignoring certain non-UEFI Op Rom devices during boot. Msinfo32.exe shows Secure Boot ON with the module enabled and certain options being set. I am thinking that would stop Root Kits, but have not found anything to confirm that it would.

I suppose I need to go find a really bad Root Kit somewhere to test !! :devilish:

There is now information that EVGA has a UEFI compatible bios available for a 660 Ti. There may be other cards also, I saw where there were some folks asking for an update and it had been promised.

Back
Top Bottom