Windows 7 Set old hdd system boot/c drive as inactive for new ssd install

trunker

Performing a clean windows 7 install on a new ssd and want to set the old boot/c drive as inactive so I can use the old hdd for storage.

Going to unplug the old hdd to do the install but I want to know how to (unplug the new ssd drive and re-plug in the old hdd drive) set the old hdd boot/c drive as inactive so I can plug in both drives without boot problems.

Can I still keep all the data (partitioned into 3 drives) on the old hdd? I don't really want to format the c drive to deactivate it (or any partitions for that matter).

The way you set a partition in Windows to inactive is to use Diskpart from an Administrative command prompt.

If you are running an MBR system, the drive order in the bios is very important, since the system will try boot to the first active partition it comes to in that drive order. If the SSD is the only drive connected, it will be first in the list. If you add back the other drive, the SSD should remain the first in the list.

If you need help with Diskpart, post back.

The way you set a partition in Windows to inactive is to use Diskpart from an Administrative command prompt.

If you are running an MBR system, the drive order in the bios is very important, since the system will try boot to the first active partition it comes to in that drive order. If the SSD is the only drive connected, it will be first in the list. If you add back the other drive, the SSD should remain the first in the list.

If you need help with Diskpart, post back.

So I can just install on the new ssd, power off, and plug in the old hdd back in.

...the system will try boot to the first active partition it comes to in that drive order...
So if I make a C drive in the new ssd and have C,F, and G partitions on the old hdd it will boot to the C drive on the ssd? Will the computer reassign a new drive letter to the old C drive?

Last edited:
So I can just install on the new ssd, power off, and plug in the old hdd back in.

...the system will try boot to the first active partition it comes to in that drive order...
So if I make a C drive in the new ssd and have C,F, and G partitions on the old hdd it will boot to the C drive on the ssd? Will the computer reassign a new drive letter to the old C drive?

Ok, it probably won't even show the old C drive right?

And to boot to the old C drive I will have to boot in BIOS and reset old C drive as active?

We seem to have things that might be a little confusing.

Drives are not set as active, partitions are. You cannot set a drive as active in the bios, just set its priority in the boot process.

The partition Windows boots into for the OS is usually C: and the others will change accordingly. I have seen situations where a drive was cloned and problems arose from the Drive lettering, but you should not have that situation.

But don't worry about the drive letters, after you get the SSD set up, shutdown and add the other drive. When you start up again, it should boot fine. The old c: partition will be visible, but with a different drive letter. If not, let us know...

We seem to have things that might be a little confusing.

Drives are not set as active, partitions are. You cannot set a drive as active in the bios, just set its priority in the boot process.

The partition Windows boots into for the OS is usually C: and the others will change accordingly. I have seen situations where a drive was cloned and problems arose from the Drive lettering, but you should not have that situation.

But don't worry about the drive letters, after you get the SSD set up, shutdown and add the other drive. When you start up again, it should boot fine. The old c: partition will be visible, but with a different drive letter. If not, let us know...

Thanks. The thing I was really worried about was screwing up the ssd after connecting the old hdd.

Back
Top Bottom