Windows 7 Setting up a VPN connection

HowardHammerman

I am a consultant and I connect to one of my clients using VPN. It works great on all my XP computers. I can't get it to work on my new, HP 64-bit computer using Windows 7. I know the IP address, user name, password, and I copied the setting from the XP computer to the best of my ability.
Please help.

I am a consultant and I connect to one of my clients using VPN. It works great on all my XP computers. I can't get it to work on my new, HP 64-bit computer using Windows 7. I know the IP address, user name, password, and I copied the setting from the XP computer to the best of my ability.
Please help.
Something I've noticed about Windows 7 VPNs is that if you leave the type set to automatic, they tend to default to IKEv2, so you might try changing the VPN type to either L2TP or just PPTP and see if that makes any difference.

It did not work

I tried changing the security setting from Automatic to L2TP and then to PPTP and neither worked.

any other ideas?

the error message

Here is the error message:

Error 800. The remote connection failed becvuase the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The servder may be unreachable.

=================

HOWEVER, when I attempt to connect to the same server using my XP computer and the same VPN settings it works flawlessly. I should note that the settings that are available are slightly different between the two operating systems.

the article that was recommended

I did attempt to ping the server with the IP address and that was successful from both the XP and Windows 7 computer.

You may need to contact the administrator of the server/machine you are attempting to contact to
1. Determine the exact type of tunnel he is expecting/permitting PPTP, L2TP, etc.
2. Determine what type of security he has in place to prevent random tunnel connections from just anyone.
3. So he can check his event viewer to see if he is seeing any problems with the connection attempts on his side.
In the properties of you VPN connection, under the networking tab, try unchecking IPv6 and see if that makes any difference. Also check and make sure you don't have any local firewalls running that may be causing the problem. Try with the Windows 7 firewall off, and any third party firewall products / antivirus internet security suites, uninstalled.

Back
Top Bottom