Windows 7 Setting up small network (2 PC's)

Commander_Cool

Setting up 2 PC home network

Hi ppl, I would like to set up a small network of two PC's both running windows 7 Ultimate. I already have a router so I can use them both now, one at a time, by use of a hardware-switch for the common monitor and by switching keyboard and mouse.

This is kind of cumbersome, however, and I'm sure there's a guide for networking two PC's, I just haven't found it.

I'd be grateful for any help.
CC

Last edited:
Re: Setting up 2 PC home network

What exactly do you want to do on your network? Share hardware resources, share data, share internet access, remote access control, transfer files?

I'll tell you: I would like to share hardware (printer, DC/DVD-burner, scanner) and transfer/share files. Both machines have Internet access via a router as it is.

Yes, I have done that as it is the most obvious thing to do (I should have mentioned this in my first post). I have shared all four drives on the first PC and one on the second with full privileges, no restrictions.

It looks OK in Explorer, the drives all have new 'Shared' icons so imagine my surprise when I try to access the other PC from this and am told I 'might not have permission' to use the network resource.

Who's going to grant me permission? Billg? It's the same problem from the other PC, trying to access this one.
What am I doing wrong?

Hey Commander, I told you I'd drop in when I had a minute.. :)

Have any of the above posts helped get you setup?

You mentioned in your original post that you can use the PC's "one at a time" with the router? Does this mean it's wired with only one port?

Hey Commander, I told you I'd drop in when I had a minute.. :)

Have any of the above posts helped get you setup?

You mentioned in your original post that you can use the PC's "one at a time" with the router? Does this mean it's wired with only one port?

Hello Mitch, always good to hear from you!
Yes, the cable goes to the router, which then splits the signal in two. The answers have helped, thank you, that and some experimenting on my own.
Oh, and again congrats on your promotion! Catch you next time...

CC :cool:

Thanks for the kind words, Commander.

I shall see you next time :)
Cheers to patcooke for the above posts.

Back
Top Bottom