Windows 7 Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition - Installat

'I am going to have to do an install to remind myself of exactly what it says on the partitions page. I thought it would ask you where you wanted to install Windows and you would highlight the unallocated space and would get a message about creating partitions.

I get a little confused going back and forth between 7 and 8, but in 7, if you did not want a 100 MB system partition, you needed to preformat the partition. When you do the install next time, or before, try using Shift+F10 to open a command prompt and run diskpart. Create a primary partition and format in ntfs using the quick flag. Windows should then install on that partition. You may have to refresh the Partition's window to get the drive scanned again for any updated configuration.

Diskpart
lis dis
sel dis 0
clean
create par pri
format quick fs=ntfs
active

Where the disk 0 is shows as being disk 0 in the lis dis command.

Then try it again. You can only skip the System partition if you are not using a UEFI configuration, so I assume you are using Legacy (MBR). It has been many years since I have done a Windows 7 Legacy install, but I think I still remember how... ;)

I've tried everything multiple times to no avail.
I'm presuming I'm in Legacy mode as there is no option for this in my bios.
Do I need to create the 100mb system partition myself?

You should not need to create the partition if you are going to allow it to use the normal partitions.

For some reason, your system is not behaving normally. If you are booting the install to a clean drive, and telling the install to put Windows in the unallocated space, you should see a message about it creating extra partitions and then a list of those partitions.

If you only have the one drive on your system, I do not know why you would be getting that message. I have only seen it on drives that previously had partitions which were inhibiting the creation of a new and usable one.

I am having exactly the same issue. The windows 7 installer is running from USB, the installer sees the Partitions, yet the installer tells me that it cannot create the system partition. Here is what we are seeing (im assuming Ryedawg is seeing the same thing)

win7error.jpg

FTR - The install is now working OFF A DVD.

I think the issue might be USB related. Try Ticking/Un-ticking Native USB support in the Bios Maybe? Or try different Bios USB settings.

or just install from the DVD. if you don't have a DVD drive, nip to CEX or GAME and get an XBOX360 HD-DVD drive - last I saw they was about ÂŁ5... Bargain for an external Drive.!

Delete the partition pictured and install Windows in the unallocated space... UEFI configuration or Legacy?

Do you have other hard drives on your system? And I asked if you are using UEFI or Legacy for the install...

only one drive. its a laptop. I guess its legacy as UEFI isnt an option in the bios.

As I said in my other post it seems to be installing ok if I use the install DVD rather than the USB install.

I did the disk part thing but now it says the selected partition requires at least 8462 MB free space i cant change it to that because i then get the same error from not having any partitions

Hello Guys, i'm totally frustated by this errro, i did find on many websites, youtube video to find the solutionn.

I was using windows 7 starter, so i decided to install windows 7 ultimate by USB. I made AHCI to manual as thr were no option other than 'Auto and 'Manual'. and proceed with the setup. i deleted previous drives and clicked on install, and i got this error "setup was unable to create a new system partition" then i closed this and opened cmd prompt at the windows 7 setup using 'Shift + f10'
i did create system reserved partition of 200mb and made it active. then i created other primary drive of 30GB(to install win 7) and other 100GB of myself. once done, i exit from dos, restarted the machine. still giving me the same error.

please, please tell me how to solve this. i'm getting tired and frustrated.

Fuking in hellllllll. finally solved. it was really a stupid problem. i removed my USB flash after the error and closed that dialog box.
and then i clicked on install (without restarting) and inserted my USB. After continously finding solution for 5-6hours, it installing win 7ulitimate. that guy is genius. thanks

Fuking in hellllllll. finally solved. it was really a stupid problem. i removed my USB flash after the error and closed that dialog box.
and then i clicked on install (without restarting) and inserted my USB. After continously finding solution for 5-6hours, it installing win 7ulitimate. that guy is genius. thanks

wtf it actually worked... (only registered here for telling how genius this was)

So I got an error when trying to boot to my win 7 disk. I created a bootable windows usb and from the sub boot I could read the win 7 cd. The problem was I got the "setup unable to create new system partition . . ." Mine was fixed by changing the SATA operation in BIOS from AHCI to ATA. This allowed my win 7 to boot from CD and install windows

Back