Windows 10 SFC Scannow wont fix, Cannot repair member file [l:9]"mlang.dll"

demoncamber

Ok guys, I've attached my log. I've gone through about 5 sfc /scannow and reboots each time to fix this. Not even sure what mlang.dll is... Any ideas how to fix this?

Cannot repair member file [l:9]"mlang.dll" of Microsoft-Windows-mlang, version 10.0.10586.0, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch

CSI 0000527a [SR] This component was referenced by [l:165]"Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Package-AutoMerged-shell~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.10586.0.Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Package-AutoMerged-shell-Deployment"

CSI 0000527d [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [l:23 ml:24]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:9]"mlang.dll"; source file in store is also corrupted

Attachments

• sfcdetails.txt
    173.2 KB · Views: 271
Are you using IE?

If so , open the "Tools" - Internet Options. General tab.
Select "Delete" and tick all of the squares.
Check "Delete"
Now, In Tools - Internet options, open the advanced Tab.
Select "Restore advanced settings" and also Reset Internet explorer ("Reset")

Close and reopen IE, and see if the problem is solved.

Yes I do have the ISO sitting here. Not using IE. Not seeing any other error message relating to mlang.dll. Had a BSOD and decided to do sfc scannow to make sure everything was ok, and this is the only issue in the log that it won't fix. I've tried the DISM method but it reports the image as being 100% healthy.

Hmmmm... well dism with the source directive should also fix the Windows Side by Side installation which seems to be what sfc is complaining about. Essentially it is telling you that some files that it needs to use to fix corruption on Windows are also corrupt themselves. Usually fixing from the source will repair this issue using DISM. When you run sfc /scannow its still giving you the error? But DISM finds nothing wrong? That is very odd.

I wasn't able to get dism to run yet, going to do that now, however I did check the image health with dism and it reports it's all good. I'll try the link you sent, there's some commands there I haven't tried yet.

Ok so finally had some time to do this, First I tried "C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" and got the error below. Then I tried the offline command as well and got the same error. When I go into my ISO there is no such file called install.wim, but install.esd.
I also tried to change the command to "C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:G:\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess" to no avail. What else could I try?

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

C:\Windows\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:wim:G:\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

The difference between install.esd and install.wim is that the ESD file is compressed and encrypted. This is done, primarily, so that the Windows installation media can still fit on a DVD or 4GB USB thumb drive. Because of the file size, it also easier to push through Windows Update.

The best way that I can think of, without extensive command line editing, would be to download NTLite. This is a freeware utility. Open the install.esd and double click on it to extract it. Use the "Convert" button to create install.wim. Do not do anything else. This will allow you to generate the install.wim in order to use DISM to conduct repairs.

The difference between install.esd and install.wim is that the ESD file is compressed and encrypted. This is done, primarily, so that the Windows installation media can still fit on a DVD or 4GB USB thumb drive. Because of the file size, it also easier to push through Windows Update.

The best way that I can think of, without extensive command line editing, would be to download NTLite. This is a freeware utility. Open the install.esd and double click on it to extract it. Use the "Convert" button to create install.wim. Do not do anything else. This will allow you to generate the install.wim in order to use DISM to conduct repairs.

Ok, I got it to work, it said "The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully." running sfc now to double check.

Ok, I got it to work, it said "The restore operation completed successfully.
The operation completed successfully." running sfc now to double check.
Excellent! With any luck your problem is solved. Please report back with details.

Back