Windows 7 Sharing Files with other devices.

rockinrichyuk

I'm hoping that one of you geniuses can stop me from having to take drastic action and reimage my brand new pc......heres the problem. (by the way, I have read, reread and read some more on how to fix it but to no avail.)

I have a new PC running Win7 Home Premium. I also have an old laptop running XP and a media device (AZBox) downstairs. (This device is a linux based device).

Before the new PC. I could stream / transfer files to all machines, now since the new PC I cannot get files to play on the AZBox. It keeps coming up with an 'Access Denied' message and then a prompt for a user name and password.

For clarity's sake, I can see the AZBox device on the Win7 PC and transfer files to and from it. The XP machine can still see and transfer files to the AZBox. The AZBox can stream from the XP machine without any passwords.

I believe I have them all in the same workgroup (but advice on checking would be good).

I have adjusted the advanced sharing settings and they are set as follows:

Network Discovery ON
File and Printer Sharing ON
Public Folder Sharing OFF
Media Streaming ON
128 Encryption ON
Password Protection OFF
Homegroup Management ON (althugh only one Win7 PC so no homegroups used).

I have given full rights / permissions to Everyone in the individual folders.

I originally only had one Windows user account for the PC with no password. I have added a few others some Admin some Guest just to try but I'm at the point now of being completely lost.

I did try and change some security settings via Regedit to do with NTLM policies but I'm in danger of damaging something now so I throw myself on your mercy and ask for help.

Cheers
Rich

I'm hoping that one of you geniuses can stop me from having to take drastic action and reimage my brand new pc......heres the problem. (by the way, I have read, reread and read some more on how to fix it but to no avail.)

I have a new PC running Win7 Home Premium. I also have an old laptop running XP and a media device (AZBox) downstairs. (This device is a linux based device).

Before the new PC. I could stream / transfer files to all machines, now since the new PC I cannot get files to play on the AZBox. It keeps coming up with an 'Access Denied' message and then a prompt for a user name and password.

For clarity's sake, I can see the AZBox device on the Win7 PC and transfer files to and from it. The XP machine can still see and transfer files to the AZBox. The AZBox can stream from the XP machine without any passwords.

I believe I have them all in the same workgroup (but advice on checking would be good).

I have adjusted the advanced sharing settings and they are set as follows:

Network Discovery ON
File and Printer Sharing ON
Public Folder Sharing OFF
Media Streaming ON
128 Encryption ON
Password Protection OFF
Homegroup Management ON (althugh only one Win7 PC so no homegroups used).

I have given full rights / permissions to Everyone in the individual folders.

I originally only had one Windows user account for the PC with no password. I have added a few others some Admin some Guest just to try but I'm at the point now of being completely lost.

I did try and change some security settings via Regedit to do with NTLM policies but I'm in danger of damaging something now so I throw myself on your mercy and ask for help.

Cheers
Rich
It would seem that if you can see and transfer files back and forth to Win7 and AZ Box, then your workgroup configuration is probably ok. If you want you can alway check by just right clicking on "Computer" and choose properties. Near the bottom of the main panel of the resultant page you should see the computer name and workgroup name and a link to the right to change it if need be. As far as the NTLMv2 issue here's a link to a pretty good explanation of how to adjust it and I've included a screen shot of the resultant edits on my local computer. You may also have to take one further step and adjust the security level for the Win7 machine as the AZ Box may not be equipped to handle 128bit encryption, you can take a look at the setting in the other screen shot reflect these changes to NtlmMinServerSec and NtlmMinClientSec. You may also check the Share permissions under advanced sharing options as well as NTFS permissions under the security tab and make sure that the user account you are using has proper permissions as well as the groups that that user belongs to has proper permissions. Before you make any edits to the registry, create a restore point and export the key that you are editing to your desktop for safe keeping in case of problems you can import it back in.
LINK = NTLMv2 Secure Authentication method

Very good answer

Thanks, very good answer. Few months ago I had similar problem. I`m glad to see full and clear answer like this one ;)

Hello again, sorry for the delay in getting back to you but wanted to make sure I had tries everything correctly.

I have tried everything you suggested and still no joy. I am still getting the 'Permission Denied' and Password fields.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated?

Hello again, sorry for the delay in getting back to you but wanted to make sure I had tries everything correctly.

I have tried everything you suggested and still no joy. I am still getting the 'Permission Denied' and Password fields.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated?
If you are still getting access denied after entering the correct username and password which requires the correct format including the Windows 7 machine name like (MachineName\Username) and then the correct password for that user on the windows 7 machine. Then perhaps you need to look at sharing a little more carefully, I don't know how you are attempting to share the indivdual folders but Windows7 HomeGroup sharing is probably not going to work. You need to use the advanced sharing button under the sharing tab of the folders properties as well as ntfs permissions under the security tab. Make sure that the "Everyone" group has full control in both places if the "Everyone" group is not present in both places post back and we'll go through how to add it, basically it will involve click the edit button, then the add button, then the advanced button, then the find now button, scroll down select everyone and then check the allow full control, and make sure you include subfolders and files.

If you are still getting access denied after entering the correct username and password which requires the correct format including the Windows 7 machine name like (MachineName\Username) and then the correct password for that user on the windows 7 machine. Then perhaps you need to look at sharing a little more carefully, I don't know how you are attempting to share the indivdual folders but Windows7 HomeGroup sharing is probably not going to work. You need to use the advanced sharing button under the sharing tab of the folders properties as well as ntfs permissions under the security tab. Make sure that the "Everyone" group has full control in both places if the "Everyone" group is not present in both places post back and we'll go through how to add it, basically it will involve click the edit button, then the add button, then the advanced button, then the find now button, scroll down select everyone and then check the allow full control, and make sure you include subfolders and files.

Hi firstly thank you for your patience in sticking with me on this one. Ordinarily I can resolve these thigs fairly easily but this has got me beat so far.

I think there may be something in your response about the machine name \user name. Can you help me work out exactly what it is I should type and where? I have added some screenshots to show you what happens.

This shot shows the network is seing the machine and how it sees it (note Richard-PC shoes in capitals on screen but in owner details it is upper and lower case)
capture01.png

This shows the error message I get when I attempt to connect. (Remember this only happens when trying to connect to Richard-PC, when connecting to Wendy...no problems)

capture02.png1.png

This shot shows the Computer name

Computer Name.png

This shows the Win7 PC recognising the AZBox (as MMP) and that it sits in the 'Workgroup' workgroup (although it seems to do that automatically as I haven't adjusted any settings)
MMP.PNG

Finally my Win7 sharing settings.

Sharing settings.PNG

I have now unshared everything for control purposes and reshared one folder. I cannot attach anymore images to this post but can do later if necessary. I have given everyone all permissions in both advanced sharing tab and security tabs.

I did think that I had maybe hit on the answer as I found that my user folder (users/Richard) wasn't shared (or at least didn't appear to be) but still no joy.

In closing, I think you probably have hit the nail on the head regarding correct passwords / user names needed...I just don't know what they are!!!

By the way, I haven't set up any sort of user account for the AZBox or my wifes PC on the Win7 PC. Do I need to and if so how?

Hi firstly thank you for your patience in sticking with me on this one. Ordinarily I can resolve these thigs fairly easily but this has got me beat so far.

I think there may be something in your response about the machine name \user name. Can you help me work out exactly what it is I should type and where?

I have now unshared everything for control purposes and reshared one folder. I cannot attach anymore images to this post but can do later if necessary. I have given everyone all permissions in both advanced sharing tab and security tabs.

I did think that I had maybe hit on the answer as I found that my user folder (users/Richard) wasn't shared (or at least didn't appear to be) but still no joy.

In closing, I think you probably have hit the nail on the head regarding correct passwords / user names needed...I just don't know what they are!!!

By the way, I haven't set up any sort of user account for the AZBox or my wifes PC on the Win7 PC. Do I need to and if so how?
First, what you need to type is richard-pc\username (that would be the username you use to log onto richard-pc) usernames are not case sensitive. Then in the password field you need to type the password that you use for that username to log onto richard-pc (passwords are case sensitive)
Second, start from scratch with a new folder on the C drive, call it "share" (no quotes) right click choose properties and under the sharing and security tabs, make sure that you set it up as we discussed before, full control everyone group. Drop one of your media files into this folder, it should inherit from the parent container which is share, but just to be safe, right click the file itself and just check the security tab and make sure it is full control everyone. Now make sure that you can access this file from the Wendy computer, (if you are prompted for a username and password, please use the format I described above to make sure it works) just to make sure that it's just the AZ box and not something else on the network causing the problem

Good morning.

I have tried, where I could your suggestions above.

I created the 'share' folder and was able to access it without any difficulty from WENDY PC.

I cannot add the password etc to the AZBox inn the format you suggest because in that particular mode there is no option to select the '\' symbol.

One thought that occurred to me last night was the fact that whenever I log onto the computer it automatically boots up and goes into, what I believe is my user account. (Although I don't want them) I have created several other accounts on my PC at varying access levels to see whether this might help but the only time I'm ever given an option to log onto those accounts is if I physically logoff rather than shut down. Could this be of any significance?

Good morning.

I have tried, where I could your suggestions above.

I created the 'share' folder and was able to access it without any difficulty from WENDY PC.

I cannot add the password etc to the AZBox inn the format you suggest because in that particular mode there is no option to select the '\' symbol.

One thought that occurred to me last night was the fact that whenever I log onto the computer it automatically boots up and goes into, what I believe is my user account. (Although I don't want them) I have created several other accounts on my PC at varying access levels to see whether this might help but the only time I'm ever given an option to log onto those accounts is if I physically logoff rather than shut down. Could this be of any significance?
I wouldn't think so, but to fix that open the run dialog box (hold down windows logo key and hit r) type control userpasswords2 and hit enter, under the users tab check the box near the top that says "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" BEFORE YOU DO THAT.....make sure you know the password for the account you think you're logging onto.
I have been looking into your issue some more and some folks are saying that the accont on the Win7 machine has to have a password, while others say that no password works best. I do know that this seems to be a persistent problem between Win7 machines and Linux based machines using SMB, I'm starting to wonder if it an SMB version issue. Usually the NTLMv2 fix that I posted originally works, but apparently often it doesn't.
I have even seen mention of the Windows Live Sign-In Assistant causing this (go figure)
Do you have access to the AZbox manufacturer, a phone number or email, maybe initiate a trouble ticket through them.
I would really like to see the definitive answer to this issue since it seems to be impacting NAS users, as well as various boxes like yours.

Hi there,

I have just received confirmation that a user with Win7 Ultimate Edition is successfully sharing files with the AZBox. I'll try and see whether anybody with Home Premium is getting any success and report back.

That's good news. If you can find out what steps he took to make it happen, the process should be pretty much the same. And yes please keep me informed.

The only other confirmation I can get is also using Ultimate edition. They seem to have had to put passwords in to get it to share but other than that seems like they pretty much did the same as I have done.

Is there a difference in the two versions of Windows that might be causing this?
I am thinking of doing a clean install on the Win7 machine.....It'll be a pain but if you recommend it I'll give it a go.

The only other confirmation I can get is also using Ultimate edition. They seem to have had to put passwords in to get it to share but other than that seems like they pretty much did the same as I have done.

Is there a difference in the two versions of Windows that might be causing this?
I am thinking of doing a clean install on the Win7 machine.....It'll be a pain but if you recommend it I'll give it a go.
Put passwords in where. If it's a user account password on your win 7 machine, that should be simple enough to resolve by configuring your account within the user applet in the control panel. I have heard of some sharing issues resulting from so called "blank passwords"
As far as doing a clean install, I'm not sure that that will get you any further along, unless, you suspect a problem exists that we haven't discussed yet, then of course that may be a viable option, if you do take this step, I would concentrate on getting the AZbox up and running before adding any other software or service that wasn't AZbox related.

Just another bit of information for your consideration.

Although I've never needed to use it before (and don't know what it's actually for if I'm honest) Is an option on the AZBox called file server.

When you go into it, it is pre populated with the following fields:

Workgroup: MYGROUP
Server: MMP
Account: root
Password: (blank)

Then two options -Setup and Execute.

I did mess with this before we started communicating but didn't get anywhere.

If I'm not mistaken those options are to allow the AZbox to act like a server and it supports some of the various server type addons, like FTP as well as several others seemingly proprietary to the box. In other words that to allow your other machines to access the AZbox, not to support the AZbox reaching out to other machines. So if you are able to transfer files to the AZbox then I wouldn't think you need to alter anything here except possible the workgroup name if it's different than that of the rest of your machines.

Hello again, hope you are well.

I've been doing more research and one forum suggested the following

"Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy

Local Policies - Security Options

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
Send LM & NTLM responses

Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
Disable Require 128-bit encryption

my SMB server worked after changing those two options

Now these options dont appear to be there in Home Premium and I know we changed something in the Registry previously but is there something else here that might help?
(By the way, it seems you were right about this problem, there seems to be a lot of people struggling too....PS do you know of a cheap way to upgrade to Ultimate....it might save us both a lot of hassle :p)

Full transcript here h**p://www.tomshardware.com/forum/75-63-windows-samba-issue

Thanks again for all of your help!

Still here, still well, still hoping for a definitive answer to this issue.
The registry values that I provided earlier are the equivalent of using the secpol.msc that you've noted, I was aware that you were running home premium and also aware that the security policy management console was not available in that version, so that's why I suggested using the registry to accomplish the same thing. The only thing I would suggest in reference to this subject is to double check the Network and Sharing Center and make sure that the file sharing connections option is not set to 128 bit, (choose Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56- bit encryption) just to make sure that this setting would potentially over-ride any registry settings.
As far as a cheap way to upgrade, cheap is a relative term, I suspect you might be able to avail yourself of the Windows 7 Upgrade Anytime product update here Windows Anytime Upgrade and Family Pack Pricing - Windows 7 Team Blog - The Windows Blog is it cheap, depends on your personal budget. And I don't really know that that would be an actual solution.

Hi Trouble, some good news for you. I've sorted the sharing problem.

In the end I did a clean install of Win7 Home Premium Edition. I enabled the basic sharing options and hey presto, works like a charm.
Just goes to show, you cant trust even a new machine to be installed correctly.

Just wanted to let you know and to thank you so much for all the help and persistence you've given.

Cheers
Rich.

Wow, thanks for the update.....not sure what that would indicate, perhaps the presence of some third party software on the Windows 7 machine that was causing it? Not sure, just glad you got is sorted out and thanks so much for posting back and letting us know.

Back