Windows 8 Sharing NTFS partition in multi-boot system

eldiener

Honorable Member
I have a laptop which multi-boots between Windows7 and Windows8. I share an NTFS partition between the two OSs. If I boot into Windows8 and make changes with files in the shared NTFS partition, everything works fine and I can reboot into Windows8 with no problems. If, however, I subsequently boot into Windows7, I will receive messages that Windows7 needs to check the shared NTFS partition for errors even before I get to the Windows7 login screen. After the check is run "errors" are "found" and "corrected" which subsequently foul up the NTFS partition for Windows8 use.

It seems that something needs to be done to the NTFS partition so that I can use it flawlessly between Windows7 and Windows8 without this problem showing up. Maybe it is something to do with hidden files or access control lists on the shared NTFS partition. Maybe an NTFS partition for Windows7 is somehow different in some way than an NTFS partition in Windows8. if anybody has any idea what is causing Windows7 viewing the NTFS partition as invalid after using it without problems in Windows8 I would appreciate hearing about it.

In Windows 7 download winobj WinObj and launch it. Look under GLOBAL?? and look for the symbolic link for the driver letter assigned to the shared drive and copy and paste the symlink path here, next open an elevated command prompt and type fsutil resource info <driveletter:> for the shared drive letter and post that here too.

This sounds like a fun little experiment. What I'm trying to get at is whether or not each OS Windows 7 and Windows 8 is storing any meta data relating to the shared partition in different locations. If they are then I'm guessing that the meta data isn't sync'd so basically Windows 7 is looking at what it believes the data should look like, but what's on the partition is different since it was altered in Windows 8 so it automatically kicks off a repair to sync of the meta data, transactional logs or USN journal data.

In Windows 7 download winobj WinObj and launch it. Look under GLOBAL?? and look for the symbolic link for the driver letter assigned to the shared drive and copy and paste the symlink path here, next open an elevated command prompt and type fsutil resource info <driveletter:> for the shared drive letter and post that here too.

Windows7:

winobj =

Code:
\Device\HarddiskVolume8

fsutil resource info f: =

Code:
RM Identifier:        187797D5-D704-11E5-B3D1-806E6F6E6963
KTM Log Path for RM:  \Device\HarddiskVolume8\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLo
g::KtmLog
Space used by TOPS:   1 Mb
TOPS free space:      100%
RM State:             Active
Running transactions: 0
One phase commits:    0
Two phase commits:    0
System initiated rollbacks: 0
Age of oldest transaction:  00:00:00
Logging Mode:         Simple
Number of containers: 2
Container size:       10 Mb
Total log capacity:   20 Mb
Total free log space: 19 Mb
Minimum containers:   2
Maximum containers:   20
Log growth increment: 2 container(s)
Auto shrink:          Not enabled

RM prefers availability over consistency.

Windows8:

winobj =

Code:
\Device\HarddiskVolume8

fsutil resource info f: =

Code:
Resource Manager Identifier :     187797D5-D704-11E5-B3D1-806E6F6E6963
KTM Log Path for RM:  \Device\HarddiskVolume8\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$TxfLog\$TxfLo
g::KtmLog
Space used by TOPS:   1 Mb
TOPS free space:      100%
RM State:             Active
Running transactions: 0
One phase commits:    0
Two phase commits:    0
System initiated rollbacks: 0
Age of oldest transaction:  00:00:00
Logging Mode:         Simple
Number of containers: 2
Container size:       10 Mb
Total log capacity:   20 Mb
Total free log space: 19 Mb
Minimum containers:   2
Maximum containers:   20
Log growth increment: 2 container(s)
Auto shrink:          Not enabled

RM prefers availability over consistency.

So looks like the meta data is on the partition itself. Can you boot into Windows 8 change some files, boot into Windows 7 and skip the chkdsk and run fsutil dirty query f:

So looks like the meta data is on the partition itself. Can you boot into Windows 8 change some files, boot into Windows 7 and skip the chkdsk and run fsutil dirty query f:
The problem was having Fast Startup turned on for Windows 8.1. Once I turned it off the problem went away.

Back
Top Bottom