Windows 7 Shutdown taking FOREVER (+ slowish startup..for a SSD HDD)

Glenn Angel

Hi pplz,
I have done some googling on the below but am coming up either confused or just wanting a 2nd opinion from a my beloved trusted forum friends!!

The "story":
I built my first PC in April:
i7 2600k (unclocked)
GTX570
2x 4GB g.skill Ripjaws
SSD 120 Corsair (my OS)
I use peripherals by usb:
windows X5 mouse
Logitech g110 keyboard
HP 8180 Printer
My issues:
I have been having slow shut downs and a few other sleep mode issues.
Shutdown:
Gets the "shutting down" screen and stays for 10 minutes (literally)
Standby:
Nothing i can see but "advanced tools" in performance info says:
"Etron eXtensible Hub Driver is causing windows to resume slowly"
filename etronhub3.sys
I also have many many errors/warning and Criticals in my event viewer. Some point towards a driver, others just say boot time degradation.

I have tried a W7 dvd repair but it says there are no errors.
I have not done a restore as the errors go back months and arent a new thing... just something i havent noticed until now.
Is there anyone who can give me an idea how to interpret the errs and criticals to understand what may be holding up my shutdown?
-I update windows regularly when the updates come out.
Thanks for reading. Im not a lazy bugger and im good at comps, i just need a bit a point in the direction because and starting to get out of my depth!
Glenn

Download and run DriverView from Nirsoft. Under the Menu Item View, select Choose Columns, then select only Driver Name, Modified Date, Created Date and Company. With the DriverView window still in focus, select all (Ctrl+A) then File > Save selected Items. Save as a txt file and attach to a post.

We may be able to spot any "known issues" drivers for you.

HTH.

"Etron eXtensible Hub Driver is causing windows to resume slowly"
filename etronhub3.sys
This isn't in the driver view list, but the latest is dated December 2010 and can be found Link Removed due to 404 Error You can check the date of yours by the Modified Date under its System Properties.

The following have known issues with Windows 7 regarding BSODS. Not your issue but something to be aware of. Note these are "canned speeches" and not instructions for you to rigorously follow! Just advisory.

hamachi.sys 18/03/2009 5:35:42 PM
lmimirr.sys 17/09/2010 3:39:58 PM
LMIRfsDriver.sys 16/03/2011 1:46:24 PM
RaInfo.sys 17/09/2010 3:40:06 PM
LogMeIn/RemotelyAnywhere. Has known issues with Windows 7.

AVG is known to be a cause of BSOD's on Windows 7 systems. If you wish to uninstall it: Download the correct AVG Remover for your system (32 or 64 bit).
If you have AVG ID protection installed, download the AVGID Protection Remover from the above link as well (it wouldn't hurt to download and run it anyway). Download Link Removed due to 404 Error as AVG's replacement. Re-boot to Safe Mode. In Safe Mode run the AVG Removal tools. Re-boot to normal mode and install MSE. Make sure your Windows firewall is enabled!

sptd.sys N/A The sptd.sys driver is notorious for causing BSOD's with Windows 7. It's a driver used and installed along with Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120 which you'll also have to uninstall.
Then use the correct (32bit or 64bit) download from Duplex Secure - Downloads to uninstall the SPTD.SYS driver.
Make sure to select the uninstall button! DO NOT SELECT INSTALL!!

It could well be something to do with your SSD "firmware" set up, but I'm no expert in those new fangled things!

Do you have anything plugged into the Etron hub?

What Motherboard?

When you say the processor is "unclocked" do you mean not overclocked? Never mind, I see it is at advertised speeds.

hmmm ok, i understand those drivers may cause BSOD's but i dont seem to be having any, at least i know whats behind themif they occur!.

(i need Logmein for university purposes at the moment!)

How can i find if things are plugged into the etron devices? I have a Asrock Extreme 6 motherboard, but in the manual i cant see which USB are the etron... or is etron any of the usb 3.0??

How can upgrade SSD firmware (or is that not upgradeable by home users)

My processor is not overclocked but weirdly i get 3.49GHz on a 3.4GHz processor... Turboboost is turned off as well!!

Quote From Link Removed due to 404 Error
Does Corsair provide firmware updates for SSDs?

You will find download links and firmware update instructions posted in our forum. Not all drives will have a firmware update and in most cases your drive should have the latest firmware available at the time of production.

SSD Firmware Update - The Corsair Support Forums

I've no experience with SSD drives so I'd rather give no information on how to do things than the wrong information!

Can you unclock by one dgree, or whatever is offered?. I think 3.49 does indicate a small degree ov overclocking in the CPU config. I doubt it, with such a small figure, but it could be a reason for some of the problems.
For your shutdown problem, you could try this.

Open “regedit” (run as administrator.)
Scroll to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control and double click
WaitToKillServiceTimeout
entry on the right side and change its value to 5000 - NO lower.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop , right click "DeskTop "and create a new Key on the right pane create new string value named
WaitToKillAppTimeout
and give its value as 5000.If that string already exists then double click it and enter its value also, as 5000.
Please don’t enter any lower values as the programs need a minimum to close.
Restart your Computer for changes to take affect see if there is an improvement.

I see this is an UEFI board...

Is the SSD a SATA III device and do you have it connected to the SATA III ports? They are supposed to be backward compatible, but if the SSD is SATA II you might try it in a SATA II port.

Are you using the SSD in conjunction with a normal hard drive. It seems there have been some important updates if you are using Intel's Rapid Storage. This does not mean running a Hard drive in addition to an SSD, but a special configuration.

Have you loaded the drivers for the SATA III and USB 3.0 controllers? Any updates?

The USB 3.0 is supposed to be backward compatible with 1 and 2, so it should not give you problems. But on my board, the USB 3.0 ports are red and the cable for a 3.0 device is larger than a normal USB device. If you have something plugged into the USB, you might check and try changing ports.

ok:

The SSD is sata III compat. My mobo says "its best to use the Sata II port as it makes bootup faster" however im using the sata III because... well im not THAT stressed about 5 secs of bootup time (i am about 5 minutes!)

All Sata III and usb 3.0 drivers are fully updated.

I got a BSOD this evening whilst trying to do a system restore + shutdown

Can i load it on here... and where do i find it and how can i display it?

You can jump over to the BSOD forum and check out the sticky about how to ask for help. It explains how to obtain and post the necessary files.

But back to your original question, is the HP printer plugged in? Does it have a memory card reader? If so, you might either put a memory card in the slot or remove one depending on its current status. It might be the system is trying to access the reader and is having problems.

Newer Motherboards also have something in the Bios that can be set to keep a USB port alive for charging devices. I have not checked yours, but if you have one and it is enabled, you might try disabling it.

The .dmp files are located at C:\Windows\Minidump. Until a .dmp file is generated, the Minidump folder may not exist.

Go to your C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Copy the .dmp files to a new folder on your desktop. Zip up that folder and attach to a post.

To ensure minidumps are enabled:
Go to Start, in the Search Box type: sysdm.cpl, press Enter.
Under the Advanced tab, click on the Startup and Recovery Settings... button.
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked.
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box (the 256kb varies).
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump.
OK your way out.
Reboot if changes have been made.

ok thanks guys. maybe just leave this thread then, perhaps my issues are being caused by another BSOD kind of reason. Ill look into that then report here later :)

Thanks for all the help :)

OK, but be careful what someone might tell you about your hard drive. An UEFI system does not behave the same way as an MRB one, especially about how the hard drive is set up. Not many folks yet have experience with the newer boot system.

thanks salt.
Is it possible that ive set it up incorrectly myself?

Its been running SO well for 4 months and now all these errors in 1 week with no new changes, thats what's worrying me!

An SSD seems to have some differences that need to be accounted for, but perhaps not from your input. The UEFI system basically puts the boot process in the Bios and not on the drive.

I am not even thinking the drive is related to your problem, it was just a reminder in case. But when you installed Windows, did you see any strange error messages or have any problems?

You seem to have the problem device, but if you want to check for something else, open an administrative command prompt and type the following command. I suggest you close any unnecessary programs prior to starting and after it is done, make note of where the report is kept. You will probably have to copy it to the desktop to open.

Powercfg -energy

You will probably get several USB messages, but in your case you might get something related to the USB that might be a warning or error. Perhaps it will lead you do the actual problem.

Edit: Just for the heck of it, could you take a picture of your Disk Management Window using the snipping tool and attach with the paperclip. I just want to check your drive configuration against mine.

Attachments

• UEFI Drive.GIF
    UEFI Drive.GIF
    20.1 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
I am not even thinking the drive is related to your problem, it was just a reminder in case. But when you installed Windows, did you see any strange error messages or have any problems?
Nope. installed fine and been running REALLY well for 3 months. Just started failing this week.

QUOTE] Just for the heck of it, could you take a picture of your Disk Management Window using the snipping tool and attach with the paperclip. I just want to check your drive configuration against mine[/QUOTE]
diskmanagement.jpg

My ssd used to be on Port 0, but that is a sata III port. Corsair support have suggested moving it to Sata II and see how it goes. The lowest Sata II is port 2 :)View attachment energy-report.zip

Last edited:
It seems you did not load Windows as a UEFI install. So I loaded Windows 7 without that on my system to see if anything abnormal showed up. So far it seems to work as it should. You can ignore the warning about hard drive configuration.

I did not see anything in your energy report to indicate a problem.

I did a normal install on my system and it seems to be working fine.

Your owner's manual does not mention doing a UEFI install until you start using Hard Drives larger then 2 TB, so I take that to mean a normal install is fine.

There us not enough data on this for me to make any assumptions as to a UEFI install helping your situation, so I would say leave it as it is, for now, but keep an eye open for any bios updates.

Back