Windows 7 side-by-side configuration error

saraht

Hi,
Im pretty new here and I know theres other posts for this error. But Ive been looking all over to solve this issue and nothing has worked so far and I dont know what to do anymore. So Im very greatfull for any help you could give me.

I get this error for several programs like AVG and Windows Live Mail. I tried installing the C++ Redistributable 2005, 2005 SP1, 2008, 2008 SP1, 2010, 2010 SP1 but that didnt help. I also tried the command sfc/scannow but that turned up nothing. I tried running sxstrace.exe but it just comes up for like half a second and then disappears into the background. I then had a look in the event log but to be honest I have no idea what Im looking at or what I should even look for so I will just paste the log for AVG here and hopefully someone can help.

By the way I have a HP Pavillion Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Not sure what other information would be helpful.

I appreciate any help on this. I currently dont have an anti-virus program on my laptop so I really want to get this problem sorted. Dont really want to install windows agian.

So thanks again.
Sarah

Here the event log for avg:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-06-11T18:23:32.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>39708</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Sarah-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32", version="9.0.21022.8"</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data>C:\Users\Sarah\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\jmfkcklnlgedgbglfkkgedjfmejoahla\10.0.0.1374_0\plugins\avgnpss.dll</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>

Plus there is this error, that appears in the event log quite a few times, not sure what it is:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="SideBySide" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-06-11T18:23:14.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>39704</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Sarah-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32", version="9.0.21022.08"</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data>C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~4\Office14\GROOVEEX.DLL</Data>
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
<Data />
</EventData>
</Event>

I see no one has answered you yet. I was hoping someone would have a good answer for you.

I have been trying to research and it seems from my reading that the Side by Side purpose is to allow multiple versions of the same .dll file to be run with an application. In order to do that a manifest file is used by the application to check for such operations.

Just totally guessing, but it sounds like possibly the .dll file is not registered correctly, or the .xml manifest file that handles it is not set up correctly.

A .CRT file was mentioned in relation to this, like Microsoft.VC90.CRT in the event log, so perhaps it is involved.

Does the error show up under any particular circumstances?

Have you checked for an update for Office?

Did you run sxstrace.exe in an administrative command prompt? I tried and it gave me the commands to use in starting a trace. And I suppose it you start a trace, you will have to stop it at some point.

In Event Viewer I normally look for an error or warning around the time the error message occurs.

I don't seem to have that file on my Office 2010 install. Would you happen to know what put it there? I do see an indication it is related to Microsoft SharePoint Workspace Extension.

Hi Saltgrass,

Thank you for your reply. That was a good spot with the Microsoft.VC90.CRT, I will look into that, maybe that does
have something to do with the problem.

I tried running sxstrace.exe but it doesn't work. I can see something opening but after not even a second it closes itself again.

To your question about when the error message pops up, it only pops up when I try to open certain programs. At the moment it's AVG, windows live mail and my bigfishgames-manager. Well, thats all that I could see for now.

I'll check the Office Update, maybe that will help.

Thanks a lot for your tips. I really appreciate it. If I get anywhere I'll post it here.

Sarah

Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks for your help and sorry I haven't replied any sooner. This problem kind of fixed itself. I don't know how it did, but I had a Windows update and after that the error was gone and all my programs are working again.

Thanks again

I tried uninstalling / reinstalling the VS redistributables and this did not correct my problem. I needed to go and reinstall windows 7 altogether which corrected the issue.

Hope this helps.

Get rid of AVG It frequently is mentioned as a problem in BSOD analysis. I had problems with it in the past and dumped it. They have had a few serious problems this year that caused system major problems.
Joe

Thanks for backing me up on this one, Joe :thumbs_up: Let's hope they take our advice. MSE for securitee

Cheers,
Drew

Back
Top Bottom