Windows 7 Sleep button doesn't work.

Jag021

I have a sleep and power button on my PC but Windows 7 doesn't let me change what the sleep button does. It isn't even an option - it doesn't think I have a sleep button. When I press it the PC restars, but not properly. The safe mode screen comes up. This is what the options look like:

http://i35.tinypic.com/2czdcer.png

It should ask me what to do when I press the sleep button. How can I actually get it to use my sleep button?

Thanks in advance.

The sleep button may be something specific to your system you need to load some type of driver for. Such as special keys on some laptops.

Does the system go to sleep normally if you use the Start Menu Sleep button?

Many PCs have power and reset buttons, but I have not seen one with a sleep button. Have you checked the bios for any special settings for the button?

The system does sleep from the Start Menu. Okay, I just realised it might not be a sleep button. But I'm sure it is, because there would be no other use for it. If I were to go into the BIOS, what would I be looking for?

Thanks.

Since I have not seen a sleep button on a PC, I do not know. Maybe someone else will, but what model computer is it and I will check.

I found in the owner's manual where it says to put the unit to sleep, hit the power button. to shut it down, hold the power button for 4 seconds.

You might go to the bios and check the Power options to see if you have the correct settings. It appears you have options for different states so select the one you want that works. I do not know which is the best choice, but probably the default.

Do you have the sleep button physically on the computer? This would be unusual, because most computers motherboards are not programmed to recognize this. They are programmed to recommend the different power mode states.

This, generally for the system is:

• G0 (S0): Working
  • G1, Sleeping subdivides into the four states S1 through S4:
    • S1: All processor caches are flushed, and the CPU(s) stop executing instructions. Power to the CPU(s) and RAM is maintained; devices that do not indicate they must remain on may be powered down.
    • S2: CPU powered off
    • S3: Commonly referred to as Standby, Sleep, or Suspend to RAM. RAM remains powered
    • S4: Hibernation or Suspend to Disk. All content of main memory is saved to non-volatile memory such as a hard drive, and is powered down.
  • G2 (S5), Soft Off: G2 is almost the same as G3 Mechanical Off, but some components remain powered so the computer can "wake" from input from the keyboard, clock, modem, LAN, or USB device.
  • G3, Mechanical Off: The computer's power consumption approaches close to zero, to the point that the power cord can be removed and the system is safe for dis-assembly (typically, only the real-time clock is running off its own small battery).
You can configure Windows 7 to use the power button to place your computer into Sleep Mode (S3). This is done through the use of ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface).

I have never seen an option in any version of Windows to use a 2nd button power button for Sleep Mode. Also, there is no connection for S3 (Sleep Mode) or S4 (Hibernation) on any motherboard. The button on your computer itself just goes to power. It is the operating system that communicates with the system what power level is set by pressing the button. There is no spec for any other button!

In all my time building, assembling, reconfiguring, or repairing system I have never seen anything that indicates a 2nd button specifically for sleep mode.

I have looked at your motherboard, and there is no special pin connection additional power that I can see. You have POWER and RESET pins. It could be your case that has a faulty design?

Back