Windows 7 Slow Install & Boot

I find that very hard to believe this far down the development chain. None of these builds have been running on the Vista core anyway. All the MinWin enhancements have already been included which is one of the reasons for the greater speed and responsiveness of the OS.

Well. I'm just sharing the news. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm not saying this for sure. So let's not get to exited. But I do have to say that Win7 will be great. It already is. And the devolopment of the OS is by far near the end. It's exiting, thats for sure :)

To go back on topic i just had the same problem with Windows 7 Release Candidate and Vista. I have a workstation with no floppy drive and a asus motherboard. Looks like in the default bios configuration the Floppy drive is enable under the main tab. After disabling the floppy drive in the bios the problem was solved and Windows 7 installs and boots much faster.
Hope this helps

Did all this and still a slow boot

Hi,

First post to this forum. Thought I would donate my 2 cents on this issue. :)

I am running:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P
BIOS: F7
CPU: Core i7 920, Ext. Clock 133MHz, Voltage: 1.0
Memory: 6 Gb GSkill 1600 DDR3
Video: Gigabyte 4870

Hard Drives:
Boot: WD Raptor (150 Gb)
Primary Storage: WD (1 Terabyte)
Secondary Storage: External (USB) Maxtor 500 Gb

Boot drive partitioned with Windows XP_x64 and Windows 7 RC 7100 (_x64)

Symptoms:

Install of Win 7 was extremely slow. So slow I rebooted the machine twice thniking it had locked up. Approximate time to intall over 1.5 hours.
  • Boot into Windows XP x64 about 40 seconds.
  • Boot into Win 7 about 2.5 minutes.
After reading the posts here I have done the following:
  • Disabled floppy drive in BIOS
  • Unchecked the "number of Processors" box in msconfig (never did see a "Detect HAL" check box)
  • Changed my boot drive over to SATA_0
  • Initial overclock in order to move the memory from being recognized as faster than the 1066 the BIOS defaults to. I have since taken it back to 1066 for now.
Results:
  • Windows XP_x64 boots up in about the same amount of time
  • Windows 7 will still boot slow (2.5 minutes) from a cold start. Once booted it might boot properly (about 25 seconds) to the Windows desktop after the POST.
My conclusions:
  • The only pattern I see is one of Windows 7 doing a complete assessment of any changes (i.e. new software installed) each time it boots up. No changes seems to equal a 25 second boot to the desktop (very nice indeed). If it is not a BIOS issue, and I am correct about this pattern, does anyone know of services or features inside of Windows that might govern this type of behaviour? I would love to turn them off. When this OS finally gets to the desktop the combination of it and this hardware is very sweet indeed. I would just like to get this machine chugging along like it should and start really enjoying it. Thanks for any information offered and maybe what I have written here will contribute to the group's efforts on this.
John

Followup

My slow boot problem lay in my IDE DVD Burner. Once that was removed from the picture my boot up is a consistent 25 seconds to a Desktop I can use. Looks like I will be buying a SATA DVD burner from Newegg.

REALLY SLOW INSTALL ON WINDOWS 7 ???

TAKES 5 MINS TO LOAD THE NEXT SCREEN AND 4 HOURS "EXPANDING FILES 0%..." ???

TRY SOME OF THE FOLLOWING: (ONE OF THESE WILL FIX IT)

• DISABLE HYPERTHREADING in BIOS
  • DISABLE INTEL SPEEDSTEP in BIOS
  • DISABLE LEGACY FLOPPY DRIVE SUPPORT in BIOS
  • DISABLE FLOPPY COMPLETELY in BIOS
  • DISABLE ALL OPTIONAL BIOS SETTINGS
  • DISABLE IDE DEVICES
  • MOVE SATA PORT FROM 0TO1 or 1TO2
  • REMOVE ALL USB / NETWORK CABLES
  • EJECT DISC DURING INSTALL THEN CLICK CONTINUE
  • PRESS 'X' DURING INSTALL THEN CLICK CONTINUE
  • CHANGE DVD DRIVE
  • BURN DVD ONTO DIFFERENT MODEL DISC