Windows 7 Slow internet while downloading

Farami

So, everything's working fine as long as I don't download anything.
As soon as I start a download, no matter at which speed, my whole internet starts to slow down terribad.
For example latency in games increases like hell, almost to unplayability.
Websites are loading incredibly slow and so on...
Only seconds after I stop the download everything's fine again.

I've got an Attansic L1 on-board network adapter, which is recognized as "Atheros L1".
Drivers are from Microsoft, as my own don't work.

So, everything's working fine as long as I don't download anything.
As soon as I start a download, no matter at which speed, my whole internet starts to slow down terribad.
For example latency in games increases like hell, almost to unplayability.
Websites are loading incredibly slow and so on...
Only seconds after I stop the download everything's fine again.

I've got an Attansic L1 on-board network adapter, which is recognized as \"Atheros L1\".

Drivers are from Microsoft, as my own don't work.
  1. Do you have and and Enabled a good Antivirus that is updated to current virus definition? Did you run a full system Scan after current Internet slowing
  2. Sometimes some unintentionally placed Browser Add-on can slow your Internet browsing instead of the intended enhancement
  3. Consider also some Malware causing this issue.
For issues 2 & 3.

Issue 2
  • In Internet Explorer 8, Click Tools => Manage Add-ons
  • From the Right table of listed items RIGHT-click each > Disable => Close
  • Test for speed now
  • Go back to Tools => Manage Add-ons
  • From the Right table of listed items RIGHT-click one> Enable => Close a
  • Repeat IE Browsing speed to see what causes the problem and Disable or Uninstall that
Issue 3:
Install and Run an AantiMalware like MalwareBytes' AntiMalware: Freeware Link Removed - Invalid URL
Hope this helps.
Your answer might help others , so please post irrespective of the outcome.:)

1. Do you have and and Enabled a good Antivirus that is updated to current virus definition? Did you run a full system Scan after current Internet slowing
  2. Sometimes some unintentionally placed Browser Add-on can slow your Internet browsing instead of the intended enhancement
  3. Consider also some Malware causing this issue.
Scanned for Virus' and Malware, found nothing.

For issues 2 & 3.

Issue 2
  • In Internet Explorer 8, Click Tools => Manage Add-ons
  • From the Right table of listed items RIGHT-click each > Disable => Close
  • Test for speed now
  • Go back to Tools => Manage Add-ons
  • From the Right table of listed items RIGHT-click one> Enable => Close a
  • Repeat IE Browsing speed to see what causes the problem and Disable or Uninstall that
Issue 3:
Install and Run an AantiMalware like MalwareBytes' AntiMalware: Freeware Malwarebytes.org
Hope this helps.
Your answer might help others , so please post irrespective of the outcome.:)

I am not using IE. I'm using Firefox.
Downloading slows down everything, not only Website loading, but also everything else requiring an internet connection. Basically it slows down my complete Internet Connection.

Someone posted a fix for that,

Something about changing an entry in the adapter and up it from 128 to 256.

Try right-clicking on your adapter, choose properties, select the Configure button, choose the Advanced tab and change the value under Receive buffers to 256

Or Transmit buffers to 512.

Someone posted a fix for that,

Something about changing an entry in the adapter and up it from 128 to 256.

Try right-clicking on your adapter, choose properties, select the Configure button, choose the Advanced tab and change the value under Receive buffers to 256

Or Transmit buffers to 512.

Receive Buffers was already at 256. Increasing Transmit Buffers to 512 helped quite a bit, but it's not completely gone.
Thanks for that! =)

I guess your problem is kinda related with corrupt system files, lack of drive optimization, problem pertaining with startup items and so on. You can fix the issue just by downloading hotfix or following alternative steps given below.

Uninstall Recently Installed Software:

1. Click Start | Control Panel.

2. Click Programs | Uninstall a Program.

3. Select a recently installed software program, click Uninstall button.

4. Follow the on-screen wizard.

Defragment Hard Disk:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragmenter.

2. Select all disk drives for defragmentation.

3. Click Defragment Drives button.

4. The process may take a few hours depending upon the actual fragmentation.

Are you using wireless or wired internet? You did not mention your connection speed. But basically, if you have a slow speed, it will just get slower when doing more than one online activity. It's all about bandwidth botteleneck. Once you have one activity going, that will cut your bandwidth into half already. The more activities, the more each activity will become slower. But most of the time, devices that are connected via ethernet (wired) are faster than the ones connected wirelessly. Some routers have QoS functionality wherein you can configure which activity you would like to give priority to (internet, video streaming, VoIP, etc.).

Last edited:
Back