Windows 10 Sluggish PC even after windows reinstall

Trevor Appleton

My PC was extremely sluggish and it was so slow it was a long struggle to open one file or run a program. I ran anti virus tests etc and eventually reinstalled Windows. It is better but still freezes on opening a folder and whereas as before this happened boot time was 30 seconds or less now around 5 minutes. Have run memtest and OK. No sure what to do now?

I would start by checking resource utilization under the Performance tab in task manager. If the CPU, Memory, or Disk are pegged then that's a good indicator of you issue. You can open Resource Monitor from the same tab and narrow down which process(es) are causing the issue.

How old is your computer?

I've had similar problems before with at least 3 computers and here's what I did:

If your disk usage is going up to 100% in your performance tab in task manager, try wiping the HDD by writing zeroes then reinstall the operating system.

You can download a bootable .ISO of mini tool partition magic to perform the wipe HDD by writing zeroes.

The purpose here is to remap your HDD and in theory it would work as if it was new. Why wipe in zeroes? Well, simply formatting the HDD will not remap the sectors of your HDD which eventually causes it to perform slow, especially if your HDD is at least 3 years old. Believe it or not, old data stays in HDD unless they're overwritten by something else, hence we write zeroes

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

Download CCleaner It is a free program to clean up your hard drive. What brand and model is your computer?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom