Windows 7 Smooth move, Ex-Lax

Commander_Cool

Hi good buddies,

used to be I had my PC set up thus: I began by installing Windows 7 RC1 on a freshly formatted HD, then proceeded to create a D-partition within C:\ where I installed Windows XP and ended up with a boot screen which gave me the choice to boot into Windows 7 (default, 30 sec. time-out) or else "Earlier versions of Windows" which booted into...yes, XP.

All was fine until I had to reinstall Windows 7 the other day. I formatted the D: partition then did a clean install of Windows 7 on it, of course leaving C:\ untouched.

Not such a smooth move it turns out as the PC now boots straight into Windows 7, no XP option. I have tried to correct this using Easy BCD, but am not sure what I should be entering, so I thought I'd put the question to you folks rather than mess things up further.

Any suggestions for how the script should look?
Thank you.
Commander_Not_So_Cool :frown:

You probably scewed up the boot files.

Why did you need to re-install Windows 7?
1) Yes, I probably did. I gathered as much. What I need to know is how to fix the boot-loader so I can again choose to boot Windows 7 or XP.

2) I needed to reinstall Windows 7 because whenever I attempted to shut down, I got a BlueScreen with subsequent memory dump, whereupon Windows rebooted etc. etc. As far as I could make out from looking through the text preceding the dumps, the problem was the driver for my Radeon 7000 graphics adapter.
On reinstallation, Windows installed a generic driver which works OK. Not great but OK. And no more BlueScreens. I can again shut down the PC and go to bed instead of spending my nights watching the PC reboot again and again until it's time to head off to work, which is a relief.

1) Yes, I probably did. I gathered as much. What I need to know is how to fix the boot-loader so I can again choose to boot Windows 7 or XP.

2) I needed to reinstall Windows 7 because whenever I attempted to shut down, I got a BlueScreen with subsequent memory dump, whereupon Windows rebooted etc. etc. As far as I could make out from looking through the text preceding the dumps, the problem was the driver for my Radeon 7000 graphics adapter.
On reinstallation, Windows installed a generic driver which works OK. Not great but OK. And no more BlueScreens. I can again shut down the PC and go to bed instead of spending my nights watching the PC reboot again and again until it's time to head off to work, which is a relief.
Try using your W7 Disc and use the repair option it may bring back our dual boot capability

Hi good buddies,

..then proceeded to create a D-partition within C:\ where I installed Windows XP

I formatted the D: partition then did a clean install of Windows 7 on it, of course leaving C:\ untouched.

Commander_Not_So_Cool :frown:

Your post appears to state you formatted the XP partition. If that is the case - it is not there anymore.

You will need to reinstall XP.

Last edited:
Could you provide us with a snapshot of Disk Management.

Go to Start > Run, and type diskmgmt.msc.

Expand the window so we can see all your drives and/or partitions. Then press the Alt + PrtScrn key and paste it in a graphics editing program and save the file

Here's my attached sample

SIW2 says: "Your post appears to state you formatted the XP partition." Yes, it appears I did but that is because I mistakenly wrote: "I formatted the D: partition then did a clean install of Windows 7 on it, of course leaving C:\ untouched."

It should read: "I formatted the C: partition then did a clean install of Windows 7 on it, of course leaving D:\ untouched."
I mistakenly switched C: and D: :redface: Anyway, the current configuration is apparent from the attached snapshot of the Disk Management screen.

Oh, and I haven't yet tried Super Sarge's suggestion to run the repair option. There is between six and nine hours time difference between the U.S. and here which is why I (apparently) have such a long response-time. Very frustrating, but what can you do...

Thank you all for bearing with me on this! I am much obliged.

Hi,
You need to go to folder options and show Hidden files.

Copy ntldr, boot.ini and ntdetect.com from D onto C.

Not sure what you did with Easybcd so far - best to open it up and remove the attempt you made to add XP.

Add a new entry for XP using Easybcd - point it at drive C.

Hope it helps.

Hi SIW2, you say : "Add a new entry for XP using Easybcd - point it at drive C." but the XP installation resides on D: (I even labeled the drive/partition WinXP (see snapshot). Are you sure?

I attach a screen-shot of the current entries in Easy BCD to this post.

Yes, I am sure. You copied the 3 XP bootfiles to C first, right?

Point Easybcd at the XP bootfiles on the ACTIVE partition (C ). They point at the XP installation.

Last edited:
Clicking Easybcd documentation fixed it? I think you followed some instructions there - which ones?

They will be the same as I posted - maybe they were to easier to follow. Sorry if I wasn't clear .

Glad it's working for you now.

Clicking Easybcd documentation fixed it? I think you followed some instructions there - which ones?

They will be the same as I posted - maybe they were to easier to follow. Sorry if I wasn't clear .

Glad it's working for you now.

I used the XP entry, you have no reason to be sorry; you helped when i had messed up!

Man am I relieved...:)

Back