Windows 7 Solve this mystery please

Dano if you rightclick on cmd prompt and 'run as admin' then type:

power -ENERGY

Then press enter. After 60 seconds you get a diagnostic report of your power use ect and may be useful (see screenshot)
The above can also be extended by using this line:
powercfg.exe -energy -output c:\users\yourname\energy-report.html -duration 240

Problem solved.

I tried everything you folks tossed at me to no avail, so I decided to try reinstalling the OS.

I did a fresh clean install last night and now everything seems to be chugging along just fine. I have no clue as to what was causing the problem. But now I've at least confirmed it was software related. I reinstalled all the programs I had before and the problem hasn't returned. Very odd. But thanks to all for your help. - Dano

Good to hear! Thanks for updating too.. :)

Your welcome, and here's a little more info.

I believe I found what was causing the problem. Looking back I realize this problem began shortly after upgrading to Windows7 64 bit. Before upgrading I used Windows Easy Transfer Wizard so I could restore my programs etc. Not long after restoring my computer the lock ups began. So as you know I did another clean install. Ran my computer without using the Easy Transfer for a day and all went GREAT. The next day I used the wizard and again restored my system. By about mid day or so the problem came back. That's when I realized it has to be a software issue. So I did a restore again. This time I restored it to before I did the Easy Transfer. Again, all was well. So instead of using Easy transfer again, I manually installed what ever programs I had previous to the upgrade and all went well till I installed my DVD burning software, the culprit is called DVD Fab. After I installed that, the lock ups began again. So I again restored my system to before I installed DVD Fab and all is well. So I discoverd that DVD Fab doesn't play well with Windows 64 bit. Thanks again for all your help. - Dano

Dano, that was great troubleshooting and

a lot of work besides. Thanks again, as kemical said, for keeping the rest of us apprised.

And per your results, just another reason I wish we could force Ms and the computer OEMs to stop shoving 64bit down our throats. When you buy new computers, it isn't even an option any more. Their attitude is "Like it or Lump It", and this really is a case where we are "Lumping" it :mad:. I bet only 1 out of 100-Thousand users of W7 64bit, exceed at any instant, RAM usage of 4GB if they have more installed. Marginal apologies for the rant.
At least, some of us work at finding and sharing answers, so again, I am sure we all appreciate your follow-up. Book 'im, Dano:cool:
DrWattsOn

Re: Dano, that was great troubleshooting and

I'm baaaak, well if you've been reading this thread you know I found the problem and fixed it........so I thought.

Anyway, it came back. But I learned if I manually put it to sleep it would wake every time, but if I let it go to sleep on it's own that's when it had problems waking.

So I decided to live with it and just put it to sleep myself manually.

But the other night I got to thinking. This problem started a while before I rebuilt, and since then everything has been replaced or swapped out at one point or another and clean installs of Windows 7 in a variety of editions and versions both 32 and 64 bit, all with the same results.

Anyway, after wracking my brain I realized there was one single component that remained the same. I have a Seagate 1TB drive that I installed a while back, clean formatted and used strictly as a backup drive, it's never had an OS on it and shows up as "F" drive after my Primary (C), my DVD drive (D), second HDD (E).

I reached in and unplugged it and the computer wakes up every time, problem is completely gone.

I've since removed the drive entirely and installed it into an external enclosure, and now use it as an external USB drive for my back ups. It still shows up as the "F" drive. It's happy there and I'm just as happy. - Thanks again, Dano

Re: Dano, that was great troubleshooting and

Excellent! Problem solving is great when you get these 'Eureka' moments and gives your confidence a great boost too.. Nice find! (in relative terms :))

Back