Windows 7 Solve this mystery please

Dano

I've searched high and low and although I can find similar problems and tried everything I can, I still have the following problem.

After letting windows sit and I return to my computer, I move the mouse and the computer wakes up...sometimes. Other times the mouse pointer moves, and my monitor still displays where I was at, but the computer won't wake up, no matter what key I hit. Other times when I hit the Windows key and wait (sometimes several minutes), the computer wakes up, other times nothing and I have to hard boot. It's completely random. I can be away from my computer anywhere from just a few minutes to hours and I get the same random results.

At first I thought it was related to my motherboard which was an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe since it isn't on the list of Windows compatible mobo's.

So I bought a new mobo, processor, and memory and still have the same problem. I also did a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, still having the same problem. I even turned off / disabled everything related to sleep and hibernate.

Current basic setup is:
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
ASUS M4A785-M mobo (windows 7 compatible)
Athlon II x4 620 Propus processor
Corsair xms2 mem, 4 gig (2x2gig) matching pair

Try running with one stick of RAM. If the fault happens with one stick and not the other then you'll know you've got a bad stick.

Try running with one stick of RAM. If the fault happens with one stick and not the other then you'll know you've got a bad stick.

I've already tried with a single stick of ram, same result. As I said in my post. This problem was there even with the old hardware. MOBO, CPU, and RAM have all been replaced. - Thanks, Dano

It might help the problem if you look at the mouse config in the device manager. Right click the mouse and select properties and Power management. Have you got "allow this device to wake the computer" , ticked?

I see that your motherboard has had numerous BIOS updates. A new one came out just 4 days ago, have you updated the BIOS to the newest one?

It might help the problem if you look at the mouse config in the device manager. Right click the mouse and select properties and Power management. Have you got "allow this device to wake the computer" , ticked?

Yes, I have the mouse set to wake the computer. - Thanks

I see that your motherboard has had numerous BIOS updates. A new one came out just 4 days ago, have you updated the BIOS to the newest one?

Yes, I flashed to the latest 0906 BIOS yesterday, problem still here :( - Dano

Is there any hardware that was in the the system when it had the "unlisted" motherboard? I have seen some powersupplies that did not work with power saving features like sleep and hibernate before, how old is the power supply?

Is there any hardware that was in the the system when it had the "unlisted" motherboard? I have seen some powersupplies that did not work with power saving features like sleep and hibernate before, how old is the power supply?

Hmmm, I didn't think of looking into the power supply and I can't remember which one is in there (I think it's either sea Sonic or Enermax). But I do know it's an AMD approved 500 watt unit and it's about 1.5 years old. I'll swap it out with another and see what I get for results. - Dano

OK, my current PS is a Sea Sonic 600 watt model SS600 HT which is on the AMD certified list. I installed an Enermax 500 watt unit and it still does the same thing. So the PS isn't the culprit.

All of the other hardware that was used with my old mobo is gone, nothing transferred over to the the new mobo except for my drives. My new mobo has built in sound and video so no external cards. I have no add on's what so ever.

I have three HDD's, one multi card reader, and one DVD drive. - Dano

Thats good news. Have you ran windows update and downloaded all updates? Also go to Control Panel-> System & Security-> Under Administrative Tools, View Event Logs-> Windows Logs tab-> Then review and post anything related to the problem, specifically the service listed as "power-troubleshooter" and the Event ID associated with it. Also check the applications log tab. I wonder if there isn't an application thats running and refusing to come up or go down and causing problems.

Have you also downloaded the latest drivers from the ASUS website? ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

Last edited:
Dano what power management setting do you have in the bios? If it isn't 'S3' try changing it.

I know it is so obvious

it was probably the first thing you checked, but here goes:
What is now virtually the only thing left from the old rig? Mouse and kb, right?
Hope this post was unnecessary but I didn't notice any mention of that elsewhere in this thread.
Lotsa Luck.
DrWattsOn

Now I'm beginning to think it's software related.

I have a temporary fix in place until I can geet to the root of this evil.

I set my screen saver to come on in 2 minutes. It seems as long as theres some kind of activity it comes on line with a touch of the mouse or hitting any key.

The screen saver will come on in two minutes then in 30 minutes the monitor shuts down (but the screen saver is working in the background, I assume). Ever since I set the screen saver to come on in two minutes, the screen wakes up immediately. Haven't had to hit the reset or power button all day. - Dano

OK, I lied in my last post...LOL

After setting the screen saver to come on very soon the issue seemed to go away, well, at least it lasted most of the day. But even at that, it's still doing it......what ever it is.

Back to the drawing board I guess. - Dano

Back
Top Bottom