Windows 10 [SOLVED] Adding a Second Three Tile Column

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
I have two Win 10 Home laptops. One has a start menu with one three tile column. The other has a start menu with two three tile columns. I have forgotten how to get the second three tile column. Any help will be appreciated.

Regards, Jim

You don't drag them to the desktop, you just drag them to where you want them on the start menu. Also if you want more columns you need to click and drag the edge of the start menu to make it larger.

Dragging the edge of the start menu does nothing. The width of the start menu will not get bigger. I can drag the top down and that is all. I have one column, three medium tiles wide. I can add a fourth tile to make one column four medium tiles wide, but I can find no way to add a second column, three medium tiles wide.

Regards, Jim

Shouldn't need to enable this setting, but go into System Settings > Personalize > Start > Enable Show More Titles

This video also shows it

I was on build 14393.1358. That may be the problem. I just manually forced an update. Build 15063.413 is currently being installed.

Regards, Jim

Hi Jim,
Sounds to me like you have your Start Menu set to "Use Start full screen" option enabled (turned on). Try going to the same menu Neemo directed you to, System Settings > Personalize > Start >Use Start full screen option and slide the slide button to "ON". This may not work in v1607 (that's the old version you are attempting to upgrade from) to the new version, v1703. Microsoft did change the way the options worked at least 3 times since the July 29 2015 RTM release (first release of W10 to the public). Once you complete the v1703 update, this problem should go away! If it doesn't, you may have a corruption in W10 and need to run repairs, test your hardware, check for viruses/malware etc. Remember too, that since W10 is rapidly approaching 2 years since it's release in a month, that there are many viruses that now target W10 (with over 400 million users), and several of them target the Start Menu since it's so easy to screw up.:headache: The other big thing new W10 viruses like to do is to shut off your Wi-Fi since if you have a laptop, it's pretty much a doorstop if you can't get Internet on the laptop once you leave your home.:waah:
If the situation continues on v1703 after your W10 update, first thing to do is for you to use whatever AV you have installed and scan/remove all viruses found. Retest for the problem. If it fixes it, you had a virus and have now fixed it! :up:
If the problem persists, you could have a spyware virus. Visit malwarebytes.org and download their free antispyware program, and scan/remove all spyware viruses found. Reboot & retest for your problem. Again, If it fixes it, you had a virus and have now fixed it! :up:

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

Not on full screen. Upgrade to build 15063.413 didn't change anything. No viruses, regular scanning by Malwarebytes and WebRoot. Just scanned again, no threats found. Same Start Menu behavior. Maybe I need a registry tweak?

Regards, Jim

Looked at the system I'm on. build 14393 and I can have multiple columns no problem. When you drag it out the start menu doesn't grow incrementally, so you have to drag it out far enough for the next column.

Back