Windows 7 Some upgrading questions

hiimchris

Currently running Windows XP SP3 32-bit on an 80GB HDD (computer specs should be in sig or profile)

I just bought a new 640GB Western Digital Black Caviar 7200RPM with nothing on it.
I plan to use the 64-bit version of the Windows 7 RC. Will I need to make any changes on my current files (32-bit) in order for them to work correctly on Windows 7 64-bit?

Another quick question: Is this the proper method of installing Windows 7 64-bit on a brand new hard drive with nothing on it?

1. Download the Windows 7 .iso
2. Burn the .iso onto a disk
3. Replace hard drive and boot computer
4. Insert disk
5. Install

Thanks for the information in advance.

The method you have chosen to use to install windows 7 is correct . Your files should be ok to .
Have a nice time on the forum :D

Currently running Windows XP SP3 32-bit on an 80GB HDD (computer specs should be in sig or profile)

I just bought a new 640GB Western Digital Black Caviar 7200RPM with nothing on it.
I plan to use the 64-bit version of the Windows 7 RC. Will I need to make any changes on my current files (32-bit) in order for them to work correctly on Windows 7 64-bit?

Another quick question: Is this the proper method of installing Windows 7 64-bit on a brand new hard drive with nothing on it?

1. Download the Windows 7 .iso
2. Burn the .iso onto a disk
3. Replace hard drive and boot computer
4. Insert disk
5. Install

Thanks for the information in advance.

As Whoosh stated, the method you've outlined SHOULD work without any problems.. ;)

As for making changes to your current files.. I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you mean by that.. If you mean will you have to reinstall your apps then yes. You'll have to make sure you install 64-bit specific drivers and apps.. ;) You have to remember though you CAN'T simply UPGRADE from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, it HAS to be a CLEAN INSTALL (meaning all your current files will be erased so please do a backup before you install Win 7).. That being said, your personal files will work in Win 7 64-bit.. (I mean pics, music, movies, etc) They won't beed to be modified..

Have you thought about dual-booting?

It's simple to setup and in my opinion is a good way to get the best of both worlds so to speak.. If you want to setup a dual boot configuration then simply add the new HDD to your PC (without removing the old one), then boot off the Win 7 DVD, Install Win 7 to the new HDD (after creating the partitions you want of course). When your done the installation you'll be presented with a Boot Manager on startup, which is where you choose which OS you want to boot into.. ;)

If you don't want to have a dual boot config then just follow the steps you mentioned in your post and you should be fine..

As Whoosh stated, the method you've outlined SHOULD work without any problems.. ;)

As for making changes to your current files.. I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you mean by that.. If you mean will you have to reinstall your apps then yes. You'll have to make sure you install 64-bit specific drivers and apps.. ;) You have to remember though you CAN'T simply UPGRADE from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS, it HAS to be a CLEAN INSTALL (meaning all your current files will be erased so please do a backup before you install Win 7).. That being said, your personal files will work in Win 7 64-bit.. (I mean pics, music, movies, etc) They won't beed to be modified..

Have you thought about dual-booting?

It's simple to setup and in my opinion is a good way to get the best of both worlds so to speak.. If you want to setup a dual boot configuration then simply add the new HDD to your PC (without removing the old one), then boot off the Win 7 DVD, Install Win 7 to the new HDD (after creating the partitions you want of course). When your done the installation you'll be presented with a Boot Manager on startup, which is where you choose which OS you want to boot into.. ;)

If you don't want to have a dual boot config then just follow the steps you mentioned in your post and you should be fine..

Thanks for the tips and warnings, but I juts installed clean-installed W7 64-bit yesterday...

AND EVERYTHING WORKS FLAWLESSLY!

Thank God, I did not have driver or software issues. I am loving the new layout and features that Windows 7 has.

My only complaint is that VLC player does not fully support the OS (or 64-bit) yet, and when I play my HD videos they don't look as great as when I was running VLC on XP SP3.

But no biggie, eventually they will come with an update.

I'm glad to hear your all up and running problem free! :) Enjoy!!

That's strange that VLC isn't working for you.. I'm using it too (That's the only thing I use for all my media needs) in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Win 7 and haven't had any problems... It's kinda funny too cause I've been using VLC for at least 6 years now and never knew that it was still in BETA until just a week or so ago, they finally released the RC for it.. ;)

Oh it is working, but the quality is not as good. I know it isn't a video card drive issue because ATI has specifically made 64-bit W7 drivers.

I'm running 0.9.9 right now. Does the beta have better support?

I'm glad to hear your all up and running problem free! :) Enjoy!!

That's strange that VLC isn't working for you.. I'm using it too (That's the only thing I use for all my media needs) in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Win 7 and haven't had any problems... It's kinda funny too cause I've been using VLC for at least 6 years now and never knew that it was still in BETA until just a week or so ago, they finally released the RC for it.. ;)

Ah! ha! |Let me introduce you to KMplayer very nice and very full bodied :)

The KMPlayer's Forums - Powered by Pandora TV

Give it a shot its nice :D

Oh it is working, but the quality is not as good. I know it isn't a video card drive issue because ATI has specifically made 64-bit W7 drivers.

I'm running 0.9.9 right now. Does the beta have better support?

Just because ATI has released Windows 7 specific drivers doesn't mean that the driver isn't the cause of the problem.. ;)

I'm also using the Win 7 specific drivers (for both 32-bit and 64-bit) and the video quality is by far the best yet.. And I too am using VLC.. So it MAY not be the driver in your case, but it might just as easily BE the driver.. ;) Is the problem in WMP as well? Or is it just in VLC?...

Just because ATI has released Windows 7 specific drivers doesn't mean that the driver isn't the cause of the problem.. ;)

I'm also using the Win 7 specific drivers (for both 32-bit and 64-bit) and the video quality is by far the best yet.. And I too am using VLC.. So it MAY not be the driver in your case, but it might just as easily BE the driver.. ;) Is the problem in WMP as well? Or is it just in VLC?...

hmm will check on that once i get home...im at work =D

i was playing an mkv file when i was testing vlc, which is a format that isnt supported by wmp yet.

you bring up a good point though, i will test an avi file on both programs once i get home. thanks!

Not a problem at all my friend.. Glad to help.. :) Thanks .. I actually hadn't noticed... :) I have to admit though, to me the number of posts doesn't really mean alot, it's the quality of the posts and whether or not they were helpful that matters to me.. ;) But none the less thanks again..

Last edited:
jsut install the o.s

There is an option offered that allows you to keep all of your existing files when transitioning to the RC and I anticipate the same with the upgrade. Even if you tell it not to keep any files with the present RC version it will take it upon its own to do so anyway. You may notice that about 30 to 40 GB is missing or the total of amount of files you were previously using. Go to your C Drive and notice that it will say "windows old" thats exactly what you told it specifically not to keep and where your missing hard disk space is mysteriously being consumed. You cannot delete it there despite all efforts you will have to use the disk cleanup method and select "old windows files" then delete.

Back
Top Bottom