Windows 7 Sound Blaster Audigy - Working Driver?

Vacendak

Another Sound Blaster post, the drivers in Windows 7 beta just don't work with Creative Sound Blasters. The problem is random crackling so bad I can't hear. There for a few minutes, then it works, then it's back.

There is no Vista driver on the Creative site for the original Audigy (yes, I run the original Audigy - old school). I ripped it out and am running on on-board sound.

Anyone know of a driver that will work for the Audigy series?

Vacendak

Last edited:
Yup, if you try the vista drivers they either don't work, blue screen (as in my case) or you get a load of crackling.
In the end I allowed windows update to find me a driver and blow me it works. It looks like an old driver with limited useability but it works....

having the same problem with an Audigy 4 with 5.1 speakers. I did a boot install, so whatever drivers were installed they were on the win 7 install disk or an update. If I adjust the treble/ bass control the crackling goes away til next time?

I see for the basic Audigy model the blurb says:

- Windows 7, use Windows Update to install a basic driver (Vista driver crashes your system)
- Windows XP / Server 2003 / Vista / Server 2008, Link Removed due to 404 Error.

Which is what I was referring to above...

I had an Audigy card till I got my new motherboard with the Intel High Definition sound. I'm no audiophile but I liked the sound on the motherboard better than from the Audigy card and it's flaky drivers.

Go, On-board Sound.

Ok, so I read what people said and put it back in. I forced the Creative SoundBlaster Audigy via compatibility mode Vista. Worked for awhile and then "crackling" again.

That's it, had it with SoundBlaster. Ripped it out for good this time. Realtek on-board sound is not that bad. I remember years ago having similar driver / Windows problems. Yo, Creative, your drivers suck.

I was blaming Windows 7 at first, but I think we can safely point the finger at Creative now. Windows 7 is GOOD, it will be the standard. Creative, write some good drivers and make your hardware more compatible or fade away like Voodoo 3.

Vacendak

ok... but Creative isnt interested in make new drivers for old sound cards, I think them only make drivers for x-fi series and newest

Edit: Only Daniel_K is trying to give support for these old sound cards

Sound blaster crackle problem

On the Sound Blaster issue -
This is what worked for me -
Using the default driver that Windows Update selects and installs -
Go tho the proporties of your device - Make SPDIF your default device -
Set your sound settings in the properties on the advanced tab of your speaker and SPDIF to - 24bit-96000Hz -

This solved it for me with Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS - and i assume it will for others as well -

I found this option after 4 days of reintalling every driver I can find -
The problem is NOT in the drivers - well it is - But - It works if you chose 24 bit sound - and it sounds a lot better too :razz:!

LOL -
Sorry for all the typos - My batteries were bad and I did not check before sending -

Bottom line - Set to 24BIT and the crackle goes Bye Bye - Remeber you own a 24BIT card - Now you can actually run it as one - That is the problem - 4 days now in all types of apps - NO MORE CRACKLE ! HOORAY!

Creative will make new driversw when the full release comes out - till then - THIS WORKS!

~peace

Last edited:
I wish I could just go back to on-board sound to fix my SoundBlaster problems. I bought my X-Fi card to REPLACE on-board sound because it was ALREADY crackling. But it got even worse after this new card. Sound works fine in XP, so I'm hoping to see some improvement in the sound drivers for W7...

In the official site of Creative you will find support drivers for Windows 7 (They are in beta version but are playing alright).

I am also facing the same problem, but quite different. I have the SB5.1, installed the drivers alone, worked, but no Surround speaker option in Control panel > Sounds.

Creative provides a small utility called CMSS, using which we will be able to increase the sound of Center and SW. This utility is not working in Vista as well as Windows 7.

But once, I tried installing the CMSS in compatibility mode and worked, but later on I removed it, dunno which version I used during compatibility mode.

Any ideas how to make it work?

I simply used the 2.180010 beta vista drivers for my Audigy 2 ZS, no issues...just get into the habit of running all installers in admin mode....so that they work properly.

Hi guys. I hope that this is not a useless oversight.

I was having the same issue of no sound playing when I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit. I am using the Creative Labs Audigy SE card and it was working on my previous platform Windows xp 32bit.

To correct the sound issue, I went into my BIOS (delete key upon restarting your computer) and browsed the various settings.
By disableing onboard USB audio(on the motherboard), the additional sound card became the default.

Hope this helps.

-Kahnlum

Blue Screen on Shutdown

Hi Guys I've got the Audigy ZS Pcmcia card and I'm experiencing blue screens on shutdown. I think it's 'failed power state" but will take a better look when I reboot. Laptop is an Acer 6592g, is anyone experiencing similar issues?

This happens if I shutdown with the card in the slot and out of the slot, regardless of whether or not I use the safely remove hardware and eject media utility.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!
Craig

Hi Guys I've got the Audigy ZS Pcmcia card and I'm experiencing blue screens on shutdown. I think it's 'failed power state" but will take a better look when I reboot. Laptop is an Acer 6592g, is anyone experiencing similar issues?

This happens if I shutdown with the card in the slot and out of the slot, regardless of whether or not I use the safely remove hardware and eject media utility.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!
Craig

Hi Bulldog,
are you sure it's the sound card thats giving you the blue screens?

Hi Bulldog,
are you sure it's the sound card thats giving you the blue screens?

Update : When the card is not used (installed) during a session and I reboot no blue screen. Install and use in a session blue screen.

I can't be 100% sure . I've been running 7 for about 6 months (gold partner) until the installation of this hardware, which I could choose not to use I've had no significant issues.

Last edited:
Which driver are you using? I'm pretty sure that this is your card here:

Link Removed - Invalid URL 2 ZS Notebook&subCatName=Audigy&CatName=Sound+Blaster&VARSET=prodfaq:pRODFAQ_10769,VARSET=CategoryID:1

That would be it. Windows 7 auto-installed the driver so I'm not 100% sure :redface:

Back