Windows 7 Sound Blaster X-Fi no sound after upgrading to W7

clueless

Sound card is Sound Blaster X-Fi, model number stamped on card is SB0460.

Machine is Dell Precision 380 w/ Intel Premium D 920, 2.80GHz. 4GB RAM

OS upgraded from XP to W7. No sound at all.

Control Panel / device manager / sound, video & game controllers shows Creative SB X-Fi (This device is working properly, it says, except that there's no sound) with driver version 6.0.1.1373.

I've tried a bunch of things, gone to the Creative website to make sure I have the right driver, uninstalled and reinstalled the sound card, but no sounds at all. Any suggestions? I read somewhere that the 4GB of RAM might be causing a problem but that's just a guess and I have no idea how to fix. Thanks in advance

Hi.

Did you set it as the default playback device in Windows and/or your media player, if it has the option?

Right click the speaker in the system tray and choose Playback devices.

Then right click on the card and choose Set as default device.

If the card isn't showing, right click anywhere in the box and choose show hidden devices.

Thanks for responding. When I right click on the speaker, there are two devices. One says Speakers, Creative SB X-Fi. The other device says SPDIF Out, Creative SB X-Fi. I've tried setting each of the devices as default with the other one disabled but no dice.

When I right click within the box it shows both Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices as being checked. Any other ideas?

Thanks, I ran the Driver Sweeper then went to the second link which directed me back to the Creative page and I downloaded SBXF.PCDRV_LB_2_18_0013(3).exe. I think the (3) means I've downloaded this file three times. I'm back where I started. Still no sound.

It's a matter of installing the right driver but I have no clue about SB. Last time I had a Creative card is 10 years ago - I am perfectly happy with onboard sound.

Google is listing quite a lot of SB no-sound problems especially SB0460 seems infamous for that.

It's a matter of installing the right driver but I have no clue about SB. Last time I had a Creative card is 10 years ago - I am perfectly happy with onboard sound.

Google is listing quite a lot of SB no-sound problems especially SB0460 seems infamous for that.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I restarted my puter, hit F2 to get to BIOS and they had a group of onboard devices and I enabled the onboard sound and now for the first time since I upgraded to Windows 7 I have sound. Did I say thank you?

Thanks! I went into the control panel and uninstalled the sound card and checked the box for delete the drivers. Then I shut down the machine and took the cover off and physically removed the sound card. That should do it, eh?

Uninstall the bulky SB software package too, get driver sweeper and cleanup Creative just to be on the safe side. That should do the trick..

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I restarted my puter, hit F2 to get to BIOS and they had a group of onboard devices and I enabled the onboard sound and now for the first time since I upgraded to Windows 7 I have sound. Did I say thank you?

You must be joking. Your sound card works great. You just need to plug your speakers into the correct sound card. Jeeeez...

Back