Windows 7 Sound files not opening and cannot even play any video on browser !!!

Uzair Ansari

Hi ,
I use Dell studio 1558 WIN7 x64 .And this problem showed up a couple of weeks ago.
The problem is ,When I open any media file be it any video or mp3 on my laptop..the media player or any other player lets say realplayer crashes or gives and error saying "encountered some problem ".And at the same the same time can't play any video or audio on any of my browser and browser crashes .
System Restore solves the problem and brings everything back to normal.BUT then again in a day or two,the problem comes back and I have to restore again.I have done System Restore 6 times so far.and yet again the problem has showed up again and not allowing me to do anything except simple browsing without any audio or video.Kindly someone help me in this,I'll be highly obliged and greatful...

Awaiting Reply,
Uzair

After you have performed a system restore and returned you system to normal, proper working order regarding your problem try this;
Click the start orb and type
advanced system settings
and hit enter
select the Hardware tab and click the Device Installation Settings button
Select the No, let me choose what to do (radio button)
and then the Never install driver software from Windows Update
Save changes and OK
I suspect your issue is a problem with the Windows Update Utility installing a less than optimal driver for one of your hardware devices (likely your sound card but could be video).
See if that helps resolve the issue.
Regards
Randy

Last edited:
You did it.High 5..Problem resolved.I was not letting the windows updates to install.How silly of me.Thanx a bunch.

Well, looking at your answer, I'm not sure I helped at all. My suggestion was to prevent the Windows Update Utility from updating drivers for your installed hardware devices, thereby preventing what I suspected might be happening in your issue.
You seem to suggest that you were preventing them and now you are not and that has somehow resolved the issue.
I am certainly glad that you believe the issue is solved but that is not the resolution I would have thought might be successful as the Windows Update Utility can often load drivers that are not the best for a particular hardware device.
Regards
Randy

Randy...You were right.That did not solve the problem .And later on i did what you wrote up there.But still the problem remains .Now what i have found is it also goes away if I install any update from windows updates .But now this thing happens that the sound goes away suddenly when i am listening anything either on media player or browser. .And to bring back the sound either i install some update or system restore.This is like pain in the *** bro.....DO SOMETHING .......

Regards,
Uzair Ansari

You have not filled in any system specs in your forum user profile area so I cannot make an informed guess as to what audio device we are talking about here.
My suggestion would be to go to Dell Link Removed - Invalid URL plug in your Service Tag number and obtain their driver for your installed audio device (Likely the IDT driver unless you have the optional Creative Labs card installed). And as I have stated above (http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...t-even-play-any-video-browser.html#post249335) in all future instances prevent the Windows Update Utility from installing drivers for your hardware except as an absolute and total last resort.

I am forced to work on Dell computers as with all makes and models, but there seems to be more problems with the Dells than any other.

My first step in a repair of this problem would be to delete all players and viewers on your PC, except for Windows Media Player.
Then download and install the correct "K-Lite Codec Pack" for your version of Windows.
I usually get mine from "File Hippo".
That will tell WMP how to play just about every audio or video file known to man.
I use it myself and I install it for every one of my customers, and when I do a RE-Tune on a computer, I update the Codec Pack to the very latest version.
I NEVER get a complaint from any of my customers that they can't play something.

If you use Firefox for your browser, make sure you also install the latest version of Shockwave and Flash.

This game is pretty easy, once you understand the rules. Eh?
But, when you don't understand the rules, it can be a real nightmare.

Cheers Mates!
O.T. :cool:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name UZAIRANSARI-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Studio 1558
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz, 2399 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A11, 12/10/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name UZAIRANSARI-PC\UZAIR ANSARI
Time Zone Pakistan Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.69 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.85 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.86 GB
Page File Space 2.93 GB

Here are my system specs.And I use google chrome .And last night again all of a sudden I lost my audio and couldn't play a single media file from my PC ,all media files and player gave this error " Encountered some problem ".And when the sound is gone ,i can't play anything on my browser also and if I even click on any utube video.The browser crashes ..:(

HELP !
Regards,
Uzair

Back