Windows 7 Sound Scheme does not show in Win 7 Sounds dop down

julio99

I installed a sound scheme in Win 7 HP last night by downloading the scheme from a website I then extracted the files which are all .wav and then I went to C:/Windows/Media and pasted the scheme in that folder. When I opened the "Sounds" to apply it to a theme I was using it wasn't there. I went back to the Media folder and it's still there it just wont show up in the Sounds drop down list of current sound schemes. What am I doing wrong?

I've had a similar issue and it seems that Win7 doesn't seem to support selecting from the "Sound Schemes" drop down box, a folder that has been manually created within the media folder. I suspect that this is because the contents of the drop down is controled by the registry here.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Default\Default
and here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Names
So
within the Sound (Sounds Tab) dialog box, build your own custom theme
Simply choose No Sounds
then go about selecting the Program Events: you wish to associate a sound with and use the Browse button to locate the wav files you down loaded, and when done, use the save as button and give the scheme a name, something simple like Custom or MyScheme, etc.
Once you've done that, then of course the Scheme name is populated in the registry and is available to choose in the future.
Hope this helps, I know it seems like it should be easier, but we just play the hand we're dealt. There's probably some third party apps, that will do all this for you if you purchase their software or purchase their schemes and themes, but it's not that hard to do it yourself.

I've had a similar issue and it seems that Win7 doesn't seem to support selecting from the "Sound Schemes" drop down box, a folder that has been manually created within the media folder. I suspect that this is because the contents of the drop down is controled by the registry here.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Default\Default
and here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Names
So
within the Sound (Sounds Tab) dialog box, build your own custom theme
Simply choose No Sounds
then go about selecting the Program Events: you wish to associate a sound with and use the Browse button to locate the wav files you down loaded, and when done, use the save as button and give the scheme a name, something simple like Custom or MyScheme, etc.
Once you've done that, then of course the Scheme name is populated in the registry and is available to choose in the future.
Hope this helps, I know it seems like it should be easier, but we just play the hand we're dealt. There's probably some third party apps, that will do all this for you if you purchase their software or purchase their schemes and themes, but it's not that hard to do it yourself.

Thanks, I'll give it a go that way and see what happens.

You bet, should work for you. I've done it before myself, back in the day when I was enamored with 2001 a space odyssey and couldn't get enough of HAL.
Good luck and keep us posted. Thanks for joining the forum, hope to continue to see you around.
Randy

You bet, should work for you. I've done it before myself, back in the day when I was enamored with 2001 a space odyssey and couldn't get enough of HAL.
Good luck and keep us posted. Thanks for joining the forum, hope to continue to see you around.
Randy

Thanks! It did work. Just modified a few of the sounds, such as new mail, open and close programs and shutdowns. I hope these sounds aren't too CPU intensive. A lot of tune up programs shut down sounds by default. Like Tune Up Utilities, there's a tweak there to disable your sounds if you want. I don't like my laptop clanking all over the place, but I do like the odd sound to remind me of things like mail.
There's a sound scheme named "Tinker" from the game I believe that is really cool. I had it installed with a theme I was using, but it was too intense for my laptop video card (256MB) and I had to uninstall the theme. It was beautiful too and installed so nicely. I just hate when something so good ends up being too much for your system to handle. Anyway, if anyone has that sound scheme (Tinker) for a 32 bit machine, I'd love to have it. I hope I'm not overstepping by mentioning this in my thread. Thanks for the great welcome to the site that I received. I do plan on using this forum as much as I need. The replies I got were quick and thoughtful. Thanks guys and keep 'em coming.

Back
Top Bottom