Windows 10 Start menu, menu bar, full screen & other problems

Debora

Hi everyone
since I upgraded to W10 I'm having some problems.

-The start menu doesn't work anymore
-The search tab neither
-Right click on the icons on the menu bar neither

-When I'm watching a video and I freeze the pc, I can't use the full screen anymore. I have to restart the pc.

I followed some suggestions online already but I had other problems that don't let me complete the suggestions
-I can't add a new account
-powershell with this code
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
doesn't finish up and doesn't fix the problems
sfc /scannow is not recognized

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi Debora,
do you sign into Windows 10 with a Microsoft account?

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

Can you get into the Recovery panel? If so you could try a number of solutions offered here:
Recovery options in Windows 10 - Windows Help

Hi Debora,
do you sign into Windows 10 with a Microsoft account?

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

I can't right click on the start menu it doesn't work.
the sfc /scannow doesn't work either it won't be recognized

Hi,
can you post your pc/laptop make and model please..

Do you sign into Windows 10 with a Microsoft account?

How long is it since you upgraded?

Hi,
can you post your pc/laptop make and model please..

Do you sign into Windows 10 with a Microsoft account?

How long is it since you upgraded?
it's a Medion Akoya
I believe I signed in with a windows account but how do I check it and in case change it?
I upgraded in october

restoring previous updates doesn't work either

Last edited:
it's a Medion Akoya
I did a bit of checking and there are lot's of models with this name. Do you have the actual model number?
I believe I signed in with a windows account but how do I check it and in case change it
You can check your account details by opening the control panel and looking under accounts.
If you boot into the recovery console you could at least try a system restore. Is it possible for you to ask a friend who's also running Windows 10 to create a Recovery disk/USB? If so you can then use this recovery disk/usb to boot into the recovery console and then use either system restore or RESET Windows.
Recovery options in Windows 10 - Windows Help

Alternate method to get an admin command prompt.
  • Press (Windows Key + r)
  • Type cmd and press enter
  • Hold Shift + Ctrl and left click on the command prompt icon
  • Type sfc /scannow if you get sfc is not recognized Type set and press enter
  • Please copy and paste the PATH variable

Alternate method to get an admin command prompt.
  • Press (Windows Key + r)
  • Type cmd and press enter
  • Hold Shift + Ctrl and left click on the command prompt icon
  • Type sfc /scannow if you get sfc is not recognized Type set and press enter
  • Please copy and paste the PATH variable
"not recognized"

I did a bit of checking and there are lot's of models with this name. Do you have the actual model number?
medion akoya ultrabook s4216

You can check your account details by opening the control panel and looking under accounts.
If you boot into the recovery console you could at least try a system restore. Is it possible for you to ask a friend who's also running Windows 10 to create a Recovery disk/USB? If so you can then use this recovery disk/usb to boot into the recovery console and then use either system restore or RESET Windows.
I could look for someone, I was hoping to fix it without restoring it.

Hi Debora, I had a similar problem, and then some, but with some help from Windows Forum was solved. Please take a look at this thread. edit: I know my problem was dissimilar, however, some of the suggested troubleshooting may still apply. Also, take a look at How to open elevated command prompt in Windows 10 more options on opening the elevated CMD prompt. The path, if you can navigate to is: "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe". Right click to activate as admin.

Last edited:
I was hoping to fix it without restoring it.
Try booting into safe mode and see if that helps at all. If you enable safe mode with command prompt then you might be able to run the above scans. This guide gives you 4 ways to boot into safe mode:
4 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 10

I tried to find your exact support page for your model. I was hoping to see if your machine had windows 10 driver support. I only seem to find a support page for s4215 not s4216 although I think i may be looking in the wrong country. I may be wrong but your model may have been a release for the German market?

Last edited:
Hi, Kemical. Your answer seems to be the logical approach, and would of been the one I'd try. But what if one can't get to safe mode? F8 being locked out on a UEFI faststartup? She states she cannot access the start menu or the search within, which leads me to the question- how is she powering down? Would Shift+Restart work how? I read the 4 ways to start up in safe mode and it doesn't address this. Perhaps msconfig can be accessed another way? She doesn't say if CTRL+ALT+DEL works, or how the sign in process goes....I guess I'd start there with the sign in process as a forced restart would lead there? Shift+Restart at the login screen?

Well if the safe mode option doesn't work then we may have to go back to the recovery disk/usb method of accessing the recovery console.

My Bad, Kem. I guess if i get to the desktop enviroment, I could eventually get to the control panel and disable faststart in power options! More than one way to fry the fish! Cool. Tnx for the education, and I hope the easiest and most productive answer prevails. Debora, listen to Kem, He's good at what he does!

Hey thanks for the kind words.. :). Hopefully one of our suggestions help some..

Maybe she can get into Settings via Screen Settings, by rightclicking on the desktop background, from Settings you can get into the repair options...

Henk

Back