Windows 7 Start Menu not accessible; network icon infintely repeating; can't access basic windows services.

GeneralHiningII

Fantastic Member
Problems on my friend's laptop, which I'm trying to fix.

First problem.

Boot up (~35 seconds) and I'm on desktop. Open Start Menu and click on a program (say for example, IE). It loads for a bit, then the icon on the taskbar disappears. Let's open a different program, Chrome. Loads for a bit, then taskbar icon disappears. The same happens with every program on Start Menu.
(Note, however, that when I use shortcuts on the desktop or taskbar, Chrome loads. IE still doesn't.)
Looking at Task Manager, the processes exist, but not the application. After waiting for about half an hour it's the same thing. Existing process, no application.

Second problem.

The network icon on the bottom right of the taskbar (depending on where your taskbar is, mine on the bottom). Boot up windows and connect to the wifi network. It keeps the little blue circle forever. Half an hour, an hour, same thing. Some how I'm able to access the internet this way (through Chrome).

Third problem.

Unable to access Services, Event Viewer etc. Using Run (windows + r) "services.msc" I'm still unable to open up the window. Even through task manager, I can't start or stop services.
Same problem with Control Panel.

Right now I'm typing this through Safe Mode + networking, and everything is fine, which leads me to believe that there may be a program or driver screwing up this laptop. But I have no idea how to find the problem or remove it. I've been running verifier but no bluescreens.

I don't have much time this morning, but have you run the System File Check. Maybe it would correct a problem.

If you don't know already, open an Administrative command prompt with winkey and type cmd, then Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Use the SFC /scannow command and let us know what it says.

With so many things acting strangely, there is a possibility of a virus. Running you basic anti-virus is good, but sometimes it is good to run another one to scan your system. Many here seem to like Malwarebytes for scanning a system.

You can use MSconfig.exe to pick which programs you want to load during a boot. By enabling only specific items you might be able to pin down what is booting and causing the problems. The Boot Tab and the Startup Tab can be very useful when used to troubleshoot.

If you want one that is more powerful, you can download and run AutoRuns from System Internals, which is a division of Microsoft.

Ran both MSE and MalwareBytes to scan for anything, but all's good 100% clean from both.

I used msconfig and disabled all (excepting Microsoft) services, and the only things on startup were MSE. I've been recommended to update my BIOS but the current version is the latest version for this laptop, the hosted one on Dell's site is not compatible with this laptop.

Back