Windows 10 Start Menu problem has returned!!

Subir Nag

The infamous Windows Start Menu problem is now much chronicled.
A page from BT has given 4 comprehensive solutions (I cannot post anything with link, as it is my first post here on this forum). Ironical to know that it is not Microsoft but BT which has done this service to MS customers.

Now, first time it happened for me, the first two solutions ("corrupt window files" and "reinstall apps") did not work. And I created a new user account. This solved the problem, but made my life quite messy as folder locations, libraries, application details, etc. changed.

NOW IT HAS RECURRED AGAIN!!

And again, the first two solutions has not worked, and I have no intention of creating another use account.

Will Microsoft please provide a permanent solution ? Please?!

Thanks,

Hi Subir,
sorry to hear you've had issues. We are not actually Microsoft but an unaffiliated support forum populated by volunteers. You can always try system restore or even a reset.
Running these scans may help:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Thanks for pointing out that this doesnt belong to Microsoft.
I have already tried out the solutions mentioned by you, and I did mention that in my post.

Thanks,

This is the result of the second command
-----------------------------------------------------
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10586.0

Image Version: 10.0.10586.0

[==========================100.0%==========================]

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log

-----------------------------------------------

You will need a Windows ISO either mounted to a virtual disc drive (right click the ISO and select mount) or the contents of the ISO extracted. Then supply the path to the install.wim or install.esd file.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth /Source:E:\sources\install.wm as an example replacing the E:\Sources\install.wim with the path to your install.wim file

Thank you for further help. Tried multiple times, with a few variations of the command as well. Like, -
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth /Source:F:\sources\install.esd
or
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:F:\Sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess

But ended with same result. i.e.
-----
Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
-----

Back