Windows 8 Start screen won't minimize

bdlester79

I've got a clean install of Windows 8. I went to minimize the start screen so I could add column names to my tile groupings and it won't minimize. When I click the minimize button it briefly flashes, but that's it. I also noticed that clicking the left and right scroll buttons won't work. I have to left click the bar at the bottom and drag it left and right in order to scroll.

Any ideas?

Hello bdlester79,
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 7 Forums.

When on the Start Screen, to the far right on the bottom scroll bar, there is a "-" block, which when clicked on will minimize the Start Screen.
I'm not following your left & right scroll buttons.
Your mouse doesn't have a scroll wheel?
What type of mouse are you using?

Don

What I was saying is that the *_* button doesn't work. As for scrolling, I was referring to the left and right arrows at the bottom (the right one being next to *_*). They don't work either.

Hi Bd,

can I just ask about your install method. When you say clean install, did you install win 8 from disk? If so, how fast was it burnt? Anything faster than 4x will produce (or can) issues with the install.
Another thing to check for, is your install synced and 'trusted'? If you click on the settings charm then change pc settings, look under User's and you might have to 'Trust' this pc (basically validate it's you).

When I say "clean install" I'm referring to the fact that I didn't do an upgrade from Windows 7. I'm not sure at what speed the disk was burned, but I used that same disk to install Windows 8 on my laptop a couple of weeks ago and it's functioning fine, so I don't think that's the cause.

I didn't see anything under "Users" regarding trusting the PC. I'm logging in with a local account...I assume the sync issue you're referring to applies to logging in with a Microsoft account.

After logging in did you Trust the pc? I'm unsure as to why this bears any relevance but I have seen it make a difference in functionality, weird as it may seem.

Other than that can you please list your system specification? Also are your drivers and bios the latest versions?

Do a Refresh. Keeps personal data intact. Do a Refresh. You will have the functions, again, that currently are not working.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Just to be clear, I never had that functionality. I just installed Win 8 on this machine and the ability to scroll on the start screen or minimize it (to label my app columns) hasn't worked at all. I do, however, think I'm onto something. I booted into safe mode and it worked fine. I think it has something to do with the nVidia drivers/control panel that are installed for my graphics cards. I got the latest and greatest but it didn't help. I think it's time to remove them and see what happens.

Well...every time I uninstall the nvidia driver I reboot and it reinstalls it. The only time my start screen works as expected is in safe mode with the generic driver (which I can't load). Any ideas?

It is not uncommon, regardless of what OS, that the latest graphics driver or update may 'backfire' so to speak.

Often, knowing this, when there is a graphics driver update in Microsoft Updates (Optionals), just will ignore it.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

Well...every time I uninstall the nvidia driver I reboot and it reinstalls it. The only time my start screen works as expected is in safe mode with the generic driver (which I can't load). Any ideas?

Hi,

open control panel and head for windows updates, look down the left hand side for change settings. Change your settings to 'check for updates but ask me whether to download and install them' click ok and save the setting. Now when you un-install and reboot the driver will not be automatically installed.

Also can you please list your system specification and if your drivers, Bios are the latest versions. We know from dealing with previous users that Windows 8 requires the most recent updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can, also, leave the Updates on Auto but, tell a particular update to be ignored, the term "Hide" is used.

Cheers,
Drew
Win8Logo.jpg

If the updates are left on automatic then you won't know or see the update to 'hide' it. You can change it to either the setting above or 'Download updates but let me choose to install them'. Once you find the gpu update just right click on it and choose hide.

Here's a web article you may find helpful:

How To Change Windows Update Settings in Windows 8

Back
Top Bottom