Windows 7 'Starting Windows' takes ages

Brick Top

Hi guys,

I have a nasty problem with my brand new Windows 7 Ultimate. Yesterday, I installed it on my desktop and it works perfectly, no single problem! Today, I install 7 on my laptop and installation doesn't cause any problem, so far so good. BUT, when I turn my laptop on, it takes more than 10 minuts before I enter Windows! I get the black 'Starting windows' screen with the animated windows logo but there, he 'freezes' for more than 10 minuts. it doesn't really freeze because the logo keeps 'moving' but it just takes waaaaaaay too long. To be honest, I think I don't even get to see that screen on my desktop. It just shows the blue 'welcome' screen for a few seconds, but not the 'starting windows' screen. From the moment I am 'in' windows, it works perfect. I can open programs, I can go on the internet,... no errors, lag or whatsoever. It works just the same as my desktop, only it takes ages to get started!

I also red the stickies and I contacted the event viewer: 7 warnings and 1 error.

WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.
NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on ''. NtpClient will try again in 3473457 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found. (0x80072AFC)

WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

Detailed HRESULT. Returned hr=0xC004F022, Original hr=0x80049E00 (Security-SPP)

The Windows Search Service is starting up and attempting to remove the old search index {Reason: Full Index Reset}.

Possible Memory Leak. Application (C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) (PID: 948) has passed a non-NULL pointer to RPC for an [out] parameter marked [allocate(all_nodes)]. [allocate(all_nodes)] parameters are always reallocated; if the original pointer contained the address of valid memory, that memory will be leaked. The call originated on the interface with UUID ({3f31c91e-2545-4b7b-9311-9529e8bffef6}), Method number (20). User Action: Contact your application vendor for an updated version of the application.

8. ERROR

InitializePrintProvider failed for provider inetpp.dll. This can occur because of system instability or a lack of system resources.

That's it guys, I hope someone knows the answer to my problem. If you need more (specific) information, just ask. Thx in advance and sorry for the bad english!

Brick Top

The specs of my laptop:

1xTMS 17"-9600GT configurator
- Toetsenbord: azerty
- Draadloos Netwerk: Intel 4965 Wireless A/G/N
- Geheugen: 4096Mb DDR2-800
- Harde Schijf: Western Digital Scorpio 250Gb 72
- Optical: DVD-rw Dual Layer Tray
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 2.53gHz

Was the installation on the laptop an update or new install?

The comment which leaps out is the reference to the NTP client. Have you installed any program which could be configuring it? It is not , by default, present in Windows 7. If present, it will search for a time sync 8 times before failure (which I think is a certainty. Have a look in your date and time settings, in particular the item "Internet time" and see if anything odd is there.

Back