Windows 7 Steam games hard crashing.....

Datagg

This is driving me nuts, as i don't see many others with same issue. All steam games crash within 3-6 minutes. Locks up so bad, it takes a power down/reboot. 7 sits on its own partition, fresh install, newest ATI drivers for 7 were installed, yet to no avail. Not seeing it here yet, but ive read other places the same issue. It may be because of a sli/xfire config, i don't know. I'm currently running 2 4870 x'2s in xfire.

Want to point out, i also disabled xfire to see if that would help and no same thing. For the little i can play the game, lets say l4d as that's my main game, it jittery, shaky..but it doesn't look like its shaking screen bad, it just look like it and feels like it... its hard to explain.....

Anyways, 7 (other than that) seems like a great OS. All other games ran great, outside the steam world. Once this issue is fixed 7 just may become my main OS.

Here are my specs...
---
i7-920
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB(3 x 2GB)
2 4870 X2's CrossFireX
VelociRaptor
GA-EX58-UD5
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200

I just installed Steam and TF2 and played it for about 10 mins and it played perfectly. I have an Nvdia 8800 GT , Quad Core,3gig crappy ram, Beta x64.... good luck darco

This is driving me nuts, as i don't see many others with same issue. All steam games crash within 3-6 minutes. Locks up so bad, it takes a power down/reboot. 7 sits on its own partition, fresh install, newest ATI drivers for 7 were installed, yet to no avail. Not seeing it here yet, but ive read other places the same issue. It may be because of a sli/xfire config, i don't know. I'm currently running 2 4870 x'2s in xfire.

Want to point out, i also disabled xfire to see if that would help and no same thing. For the little i can play the game, lets say l4d as that's my main game, it jittery, shaky..but it doesn't look like its shaking screen bad, it just look like it and feels like it... its hard to explain.....

Anyways, 7 (other than that) seems like a great OS. All other games ran great, outside the steam world. Once this issue is fixed 7 just may become my main OS.

Here are my specs...
---
i7-920
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB(3 x 2GB)
2 4870 X2's CrossFireX
VelociRaptor
GA-EX58-UD5
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200

Hello there,

I also have steam installed with several games and none have given me any problems at all as of yet.. I noticed you said you got the latest ATI drivers... I'm also using the Windows 7 Drivers from ATI with no problems though.. however, I do not have a crossfire setup currently.. maybe that's what's doing it.. my suggestion would be to download the newest Vista ATI driver and give that a try.. maybe the Beta 7 driver just isn't that compatible with crossfire setups yet.. ;) Just remember to completely uninstall the Win 7 driver first!!! ;)

Hello there,

I also have steam installed with several games and none have given me any problems at all as of yet.. I noticed you said you got the latest ATI drivers... I'm also using the Windows 7 Drivers from ATI with no problems though.. however, I do not have a crossfire setup currently.. maybe that's what's doing it.. my suggestion would be to download the newest Vista ATI driver and give that a try.. maybe the Beta 7 driver just isn't that compatible with crossfire setups yet.. ;) Just remember to completely uninstall the Win 7 driver first!!! ;)

Thats an other odd issue. Once drivers are installed, i cant uninstall. Matter of fact, I cant install over top either, which i always do since ATI drivers have there own uninstall in them. First fresh install of 7 I downloaded drivers from ATI for it. This is when I discovered I couldn't delete the drivers once installed. From control panel, to the driver uninstall itself. Just wasn't happening, it would hang, sometimes it would say couldn't access manager, either way...there was no uninstalling any driver period!

So thinking maybe like you are above, and since i couldn't uninstall, I decided to just reinstall 7 again, this time to let Windows Update instal the driver they had. Same thing, game crashed the same. Once again, I still cant uninstall this driver either, or reinstall another on top, just wont happen.

So there is definitely a glitch in the drivers. But as im not seeing to many installs with the new i7 x58 boards im seriously thinking it has something to do with that (perhaps in combo with xfire also, i dunno). If I unchecked, xfire setup in drivers, it makes no difference.... This is why im thinking its just the new i7 chips and the x58 setups.

Anyways that's what going on, hopefully they will find this issue out quickly so i can enjoy 7 also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats an other odd issue. Once drivers are installed, i cant uninstall. Matter of fact, I cant install over top either, which i always do since ATI drivers have there own uninstall in them. First fresh install of 7 I downloaded drivers from ATI for it. This is when I discovered I couldn't delete the drivers once installed. From control panel, to the driver uninstall itself. Just wasn't happening, it would hang, sometimes it would say couldn't access manager, either way...there was no uninstalling any driver period!

So thinking maybe like you are above, and since i couldn't uninstall, I decided to just reinstall 7 again, this time to let Windows Update instal the driver they had. Same thing, game crashed the same. Once again, I still cant uninstall this driver either, or reinstall another on top, just wont happen.

So there is definitely a glitch in the drivers. But as im not seeing to many installs with the new i7 x58 boards im seriously thinking it has something to do with that (perhaps in combo with xfire also, i dunno). If I unchecked, xfire setup in drivers, it makes no difference.... This is why im thinking its just the new i7 chips and the x58 setups.

Anyways that's what going on, hopefully they will find this issue out quickly so i can enjoy 7 also.

Are you installing all of the motherboard drivers, or are you letting Windows install default drivers? Try installing drivers for your motherboard from intel or the mobo maker. You can use the vista versions 32 or 64 which ever the case is for you.

Are you installing all of the motherboard drivers, or are you letting Windows install default drivers? Try installing drivers for your motherboard from intel or the mobo maker. You can use the vista versions 32 or 64 which ever the case is for you.

Sure did, all drivers for board, straight from the manufacture. I usually never let WU install MOBO drivers etc .... Im seeing others from other threads also having these issues with not being able to uninstall, or reinstall drivers.. or even going on top..... Just aint happening. Ive even now since I last posted, did a total reinstall of 7 a third time and still all written above is still present. Im banking on this at the end of the day being a x58 and xfire bug.

Back