Windows 10 Stop updating my sound drivers...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Windows updated my sound drivers again, I saw that is was doing it but couldn't stop it.
And once more my sound quit working.

I need to get Windows to run the drivers that work for my card.
I seems that, if you have drivers that work it should let you chose to use them.

Anyone have any idea how to stop it.
I could do it in the previous build but I don't see a way to do it in this one.

My other option is to get a new, non Creative sound card, any suggestions.
What card are people using that don't have issues.

I'm using a SB Audigy PCIe card.

I used my system image and got it working again but it's only a matter of time until it does it again.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

I have set Advanced System Setting, Hardware, Do not install drivers from Windows Update.
It seemed to do it anyway.

PS. I just returned from Windows Feedback after posting about my issues and see that there are a lot of people having similar issues that don't have problems with their old drivers, but do after Windows updates.

At least it isn't just me.

Last edited:
Hi

It seems that I may have this issue fixed, I have my fingers crossed but it hasn't tried to make my update the drivers again.

If this is fixed then I'm 100% operational.

Mike

I have the same issue with my wifi drivers for my Linksys AC adapter. I just go to the driver in the network section and tell it I want to update. Then I tell it which of the two drivers already on my system that want, and all is well until the next time I have to do it.

I've found that under Build 9926 you can't change what the driver option for WU not to download and install them. It just ignores any command and does it anyway. The way I got round it is install the drivers i wanted on first. It then stopped looking..

Maybe that's working for me, after the last time I installed the drivers from my original disk it hasn't bothered me.
But I did do the bit about telling it not to install drivers along with Windows update too.

Whichever I'm keeping my finger crossed.

I still make a system image file every couple of days just in case.

Mike

Actually I am beginning to wonder. Yesterday it was telling me I needed an Nvidia update, though there was none to be found. Humm, maybe the next build will put a stop to this erratic behavior. At least I hope so!

I got the Nvidia Update notice today, but as you said there doesn't appear to be one.
At least my Nvidia Update software doesn't see one.

I suppose that automatic driver updates are OK for some people but I'd rather decide on my own.
I can't tell you how many times I've updated drivers for things that were working fine and regretted it.

My sound drivers are a perfect example of if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Back