Strange cmputer issues BIOS stops midway

anotherwindowsuser

Hi,

I have had happen a few times a strange situation where the BIOS screen (I honestly cant remember if its the BIOS or th enew system I have lol) will only show most of the screen and does not load a piece of text at the bottom which says somthing like "hit 4 to unlock asus 4 cores" or whatever. Anyway, it doesnt boot beyond that or respond. I have to then prat about wiggiling the power cable would you believe, hit the reset button a few times and just had to take the battery out and put in again and reconfigure the bios for the computer to get it to boot. I have never seen this situation in over 25 years of personal computing, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Pc worked fine all weekend and now I turned it off and then changed my plans for the evening and turned it back on and it was completely dead not even showing light from the keyboard or mouse and the USB is live when turned off. Used a different power cable same issue. Psu faulty?? I am not even sure how to test it as normal equipment you just use an amp metre but these computers have electrical switches wizzardy so who knows??

_20210705_184713.JPG

After a few hits of the reboot button the system got past it, can I run any diagnositics on the psu system either in windows or linux or the bios chip?

The green light sometimes won't be on, does this mean anything? I've had a good look at the capacitors in the motherboard but none are blown. Will look inside psu tomorrow to see if they are blown anywhere.
_20210705_194648.JPG

Work systematic, one step at the time:check power supply, reattach all cables and reseat memory, find out the function of that green led.

Hi,

after reading through your thread, has the issue stopped?

Re' the bios, have you checked to see if it's the latest version or not?

I checked: Last Bios update was 2015 with version 2101:
M5A78L-M/USB3 - Support

Might be worth a reflash?

Hi,

after reading through your thread, has the issue stopped?

Re' the bios, have you checked to see if it's the latest version or not?

I checked: Last Bios update was 2015 with version 2101:
M5A78L-M/USB3 - Support

Might be worth a reflash?

The problem has gone for now having cleared the cmos, I steer clear of unnecessary bios or firmware updates as you can easily brick an item for no good reason should something unexpected happen like a power cut, its not going to make it faster or better so you are risking losing everything with nothing to gain...

Back