Windows 7 Strange connection issues.

Tane

I have been having strange connection issues lately on my Desktop. When I check the network, it says I'm connected to the internet, but when I try to access a webpage or connect to the net in anyway it times out. Troubleshooting the network always results in a "Cannot connect to DNS" error, and the connection error sign in the taskbar only appears when troubleshooting or connecting to the internet.

However, I've noticed that I get small windows of internet access if I unplug from the router and then replug back in. Sometimes it only lasts a few seconds or a few minutes. But the weirdest thing is that I can maintain a stable connection with programs that require constant internet access. For example, MSN Messenger. I initially can not sign in to MSN Messenger, but in the small window of internet time I can. Eventually, when the problems return, I can still keep a connection with MSN Messenger, but still can't access webpages or establish a connection with programs. It's the same thing with online games, Steam, and even Teamspeak.

So far, I've tried resetting the router, ipconfig /release and /renew, /flushdns, and updating network drivers, but nothing has changed.

Oh, I should also mention that this problem is only happening on my computer. Everyone else on the network isn't having a problem. I also tried scanning with AVG and turned up nothing.

Last edited:
Are all of your computers using the same DNS servers. You can find out with ipconfig /all. You might run the command when the system is working and when it isn't to see if there is a difference.

You do have your network adapter set to automatically obtain an DNS server address? You could also try manually entering the Google DNS server addresses for testing. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Does your network show as a home network, or public?

We all should be using the same DNS, and I have my network adapter set to obtain everything automaticly. The tunnel adapter would always state "media disconnected" under ipconfig. It is a home network.

I also tried reinstalling Windows 7, but that didn't work either.

My dad was able to fix the problem somehow. He unplugged all the computers and the PS3 from the network except for him and I, and I was able to regain my connection. So far, I haven't had much trouble, but I have noticed some drops in connection speed when streaming multiple medias, and even a few disconnections that only last a few seconds.

Back
Top Bottom