Windows 7 Strange issue after formatting, minimsing and maximising is instant?

aiwnjoo

Hi,

Sorry about the thread title, could not think of a better one.

I have just formatted Windows recently and installed Window 7 Home Basic v6.1 Build 7601 with SP1 and every single Windows update possible.

I have no viruses
I have only Steam, Messenger, Spotify, Malwarebytes, Media Player Classic installed.

I have updated to the latest 9.0c runtimes and have the latest nVidia drivers.

When I am minimising and maximising windows it does it instantly, normally this would be fine but I can't seem to remember this ever being the default behaviour of Windows 7 I seem to remember windows have always minimised and maximised slowly unless it is turned off.

The attached screenshot show that it's not a setting that I have somehow turned off so what could it be?

Thanks,

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 369
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
Sorry for the bump, have posted a second screenshot showing Composition settings in Registry.

Maybe this is normal for Windows 7 but I can't understand why if I have Animations on for Min and Maximising, why it is instantly doing it.

Is Aero working OK?

Have you tried re-running the Windows Experience Index to get new numbers for your performance?

Thanks for replying, pretty dead this forum.

Why would that make a difference, the score was 5.0. Strange that it did the test without me knowing... I have just re-run it now.

Windows 7 has a light version of Aero, which is working fine. Is it normal for this to happen?

Funny thing is though, now the test is running it has forced into basic theme and it is minimising and maximising really slow. This is annoying.

I am not sure what a Light version of Aero is. Are you running some type of minimal version due to graphics limitations?

What does the Experience score show now for the graphics. The overall score doesn't mean much since it goes by only the lowest one.

If you let Windows adjust the settings, it will pick the one it thinks is best... Depending on your setup, it might reduce performance.

There are trouble shooters you can use to check your systems performance, beside the Experience Index. Maybe it would give you some information you don't currently have.

I am not sure what a Light version of Aero is. Are you running some type of minimal version due to graphics limitations?

What does the Experience score show now for the graphics. The overall score doesn't mean much since it goes by only the lowest one.

If you let Windows adjust the settings, it will pick the one it thinks is best... Depending on your setup, it might reduce performance.

There are trouble shooters you can use to check your systems performance, beside the Experience Index. Maybe it would give you some information you don't currently have.

Thanks,

The score is;

7.3 for Processor (Phenom II 965 BE)
7.3 for RAM (4GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz Unganged)
5.0 for Graphics (8600GT OC 1GB)
6.2 for Gaming Graphics
5.9 for HDD

I have never had an issue before with the computer but can't remember if the minimising and maximising is normal as I format often.

I don't have full Aero, I have Aero Peek due to having Home Basic.

I think Aero Peek is just the part that pops up the small windows when you mouse over a task bar open item.

Since your system can handle the full Aero, but you OS does not allow, I have no experience with what your indications might be.

It takes my open windows about half a second to withdraw into the Task Bar.

Ok, I have recorded a little YouTube video showing the issue. Someone must know if this is the default behaviour on a brand new formatted machine with Home Basic installed. Even though the animations are enabled do windows still min and max instantly for you? Don't compare this to Home Premium because it is a different o/s.

Minimising & Maximising Problem - YouTube

Back