Windows 10 Strange problem in Chrome?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Running Windows 10 and Google Chrome.

Hi

Today I had a strange issue start in Google Chrome, whenever I type a search into the address bar, it takes me to a website for, ECS Tuning.com a automobile parts supplier.

I ran a search and did not find anyone else reporting this issue.

I ran Malwarebytes, and it didn't find anything.

So I used Revo Uninstaller and did a complete removal.

Then I downloaded and reinstalled Chrome from scratch.

It did the same thing again.

I can search from the Google search window on my home page but not from the address bar!

So I installed the new version of Mozilla Firefox and it's working fine.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

I've never run into this before I don't know where it's picking up this address, I've never seen it before today, it's not a favorite link or anything.

Since I always search from the address bar it's kind of a pain to have to go back to my home page every time I want to do a search.

This happens if I open a new tab too.

Mike

It works fine on my pc.
Also Chrome got a update sometime this afternoon.
It's on version 63.0.3239.84 now.

Thanks,

That was it, how it got stuck as a search engine I have no idea.
I removed it from the search engine list so it shouldn't come back again.

Mike

Good to hear.
Have you given Firefox Quantum (57.01 now) a try ?
It's faster now.

An FYI regarding Chrome. If you're trying to do a 'clean install' you will want to remove the cached profile Chrome creates as this doesn't get removed during an uninstall.

Location: "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data" (Delete the 'User Data' directory)

I have Chrome working fine now, but I did also just install the latest version of Mozilla Firefox.
I've been trying it out and it seems very fast and easy to use.

I'm going to switch back and forth for a while and decide which one I want to stick with.

Mike

Some websites are designed to load fast using the QUIC protocol that only Chrome supports right now. As far as I know, Firefox will support SPDY, which is backwards compatible, but if you are wondering why some sites load faster with Chrome this is one reason. We are using an implementation of QUIC on this site, probably one of the few forums to do so. Whether or not you notice a significant difference in loading times is questionable, but what QUIC does have over SPDY and HTTP2 in general, is that QUIC has packet redundancy over UDP (as opposed to sending packets straight through TCP). All of this is very complex, but at the end of the day, it just means QUIC is a little better/faster for people with poor connections. I'd imagine if you like Firefox better, it would be wise to use the browser you like more.

I prefer Chrome but I also use Edge from time to time to test things.

Thanks, for the info, I've used Chrome for years, except for a period right after Windows 10 went live.

While Chrome worked fine during beta, after the clean install of the real Windows 10, I found that Chrome would slow my computer to a crawl.
I posted about it at the time.
It could be installed but the second I opened it my computer wold become almost inactive.

I tried reinstalling several times to no avail.

Finally I switched to Firefox, then after a couple of Windows 10 updates, I found that Chrome would work again and switched back.

But I've had both installed on and off for quite a while.

Mike

@MikeHawthorne just curious which browser have you stuck with, Firefox or Chrome. I'm running with the latest version of FF. But I'm tempted to try Chrome. It's been a year plus since I've used Chrome.

I have both installed but I find myself usually going to Chrome that's partly just from habit because I've used it so long.

There are things in Firefox that I find easier to do then in Chrome the settings menus for instance, they are easier to follow in Firefox for me.

As far as performance they seem very similar.

Back