Windows 7 Strange user profile issue, I'm stumped.

Grub

Hey all,

I've been looking around the forums for a while for a similar thread and couldn't find one so i thought i'd just post it.

So. I am currently playing a game (ArmA 2) that has real issues with allowing a profile change.

When you first install the game it just grabs the Users profile and uses that. From here you cannot edit it in game.

My problem is I just named my User profile my name till I'd finished mucking around with everything. This has meant my game profile is my name, not the best handle for MP.

So there have been a number of people with this issue on the Official forums but the suggestions haven't worked for me.

Create the new **cool name** profile then copy your old profile's settings to the new profile name folder. Typically you can find your old profile under C:\Documents and Settings\<current profile>\My Documents\Arma 2 Other Profiles\<lamename>\<lamename>.Arma2Profile where the <current profile> and <lamename> are placeholders for whatever your profile name is for your computer and Arma 2 profile. Once you've copied the <lamename>.Arma2Profile over to the new cool name folder then rename the <lamename>.Arma2Profile to <coolname>.Arma2Profile.

This is how it worked in Arma and looks like it works the same for Arma 2. The above explanation might be a little hard to follow but if you have questions please feel free to ask.

Another suggestion that I now cannot find was to change the value in Regedit.

So. I've now done all of this several times and my "uncool" profile still exists, I've managed to duplicate it but not rename it.

I've since uninstalled the entire game and its expansion wiping all save games and any chance of the game detecting my old user profile.

When I fired up the fresh install, low and behold, my old profile was still there. After a minor rage dump i decided to do other things for a while.

I had then noticed a pic I posted had the dir:

file:///C: Users/MyName/Desktop/Pics/BlahBlah.gif

I have changed my user profile in Win7 to Grub, but this old name is still present. I took the pic like yesterday so the user name was Grub at the time.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated as I am about to do these ones. lol

Regards,
Grub

mail

You could completely uninstall the game, and use System Restore to go to a point whereas the game was never installed. Do whatever tinkering you need to do with your profiles, ensure all game files are out of the system and registry, and start from scratch. More than anything else, it sounds like the game has a botched uninstaller and only by restoring from some kind of backup could you possibly correct this problem.

You could completely uninstall the game, and use System Restore to go to a point whereas the game was never installed. Do whatever tinkering you need to do with your profiles, ensure all game files are out of the system and registry, and start from scratch. More than anything else, it sounds like the game has a botched uninstaller and only by restoring from some kind of backup could you possibly correct this problem.

Thanks Mike, I might save this for my last resort.

At the moment I just don't understand why when i go into C: then Users, the folder is named "old name" when my account is "New Name"? Also I can't change the folder name in C: Users "Old Name" to "New Name"?

Right so after much deliberation I have found how to change the C:Users/Folder. Its a simple Windows Transfer.

I was assuming this would be a very technical process but its not.

Just a thought... if the game is using your local user profile, why not make a login account just for that game... Log off from your usual username, log in to the game account... join the game under the new profile.

Ok... two thoughts... If that game is using your local username and password... you do realize it has full access to your computer...

Just a thought... if the game is using your local user profile, why not make a login account just for that game... Log off from your usual username, log in to the game account... join the game under the new profile.

Ok... two thoughts... If that game is using your local username and password... you do realize it has full access to your computer...

Its only using the C;Users/NAME for the in game profile, so I'm pretty sure I'm safe.

Plus I've been using Bohemia Interactive Studios games since 2001 and have never had an issue like that. Essentially ArmA 2 is the same game as its two predecessors, only juicier.

Thanks guys for your help.

@CommonTater, nice sig lol

Back
Top Bottom