Windows 7 struggling to network with an xp

tommygun

want to transfer files but cant using windows easy transfer,
primarily not working because they dont see each other on any networks, ive tried using a hub with internet, tried just doing it with an ethernet disabled firewalls, it says its even sending and receiving.

so i dunno, whats going on, and while i was trying to do it yesterday i got blue screened and now my wireless is down, but for the moment i can live with that.

want to transfer files but cant using windows easy transfer,
primarily not working because they dont see each other on any networks, ive tried using a hub with internet, tried just doing it with an ethernet disabled firewalls, it says its even sending and receiving.

so i dunno, whats going on, and while i was trying to do it yesterday i got blue screened and now my wireless is down, but for the moment i can live with that.

Not sure, what "a hub with internet" is perhaps you mean a router with switch ports, however try the following
Check and make sure these Services are Started on all Computers
Workstation
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Computer Browser
Make sure Network Discovery is turned on, on the Win 7 machines
Make sure file and printer sharing is enable on both and that local firewalls are supporting it. Temporarily uninstall any third party firewalls or Internet Security Suites that may include some type of Firewall applet.
Make sure NetBios over TCP/IP is enabled in the properties of IPv4 on you network.
Look for Bonjour service and temporarily set it to manual or disable and stop, same with mdnsresponder. Also check services near the top for a peculiar string containing numbers and or special characters, disable and stop
Let us know how you're doing.

yeah, a router with switcher ports, okay so i have it just running to each other with an ethernet, and i was going to go through your recommendations but i dont really know where to start. i checked the windows 7 pc and turned on network discovery, file sharing, media streaming, etc everything in that section,

but i didnt know how to " Check and make sure these Services are Started on all Computers
Workstation
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Computer Browser"

can you tell me where id find those ?
sorry, im not heaps noob, but im just not pro with networking with 7

cheers man, you've already been a big help

if you have a router with multiple switch ports available, please plug both computers into that selecting two of the available lan ports. If you only have a hub that's ok too, anything is preferable to an ethernet "ad-hoc" connection.
As far as confirming that services are started on both machines hold the windows logo key on your keyboard down and strike the r key, this will bring up the run dialog box in that type services.msc and then strike the enter key. This will bring up the services console and they should be listed in alphabetical order.

okay, umm,
i checked the DNS server on the xp pc, there was nothing there
the tcp/ip helper is working on xp
Dhcp is enabled on xp
but i tried to repair local area connection on the xp, and it couldnt renwe IP address

still not sure what workstation is or what computer browser is refering to yet.

and i havent been able to do any of the above on my 7 pc

Are you currently typing on one of the computers that's involved in this process. If so, to what is it connect, can you connect the other computer(s) to the same device. If so open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all on both and post back that information make sure we can all understand which one is the Win7 machine and which one is the XP machine

okay so this is the windows 7 machine, and is a laptop, the other is an old desktop that is the xp machine.

they are both running ethernet cables into a hub,

i typed into the command prompt ipconfig/all (never done it before)
now its got heaps of info up...
not sure what to do with it

you are looking for ip addressing information specific to your network adapter on each machine, I'm hoping for something like this (see attachment)

you can either use the new snipping tool on Win7 machine, snip the window and save it as ipconfig.png of hold the alt key and hit the print screen key and paste it into paint and save it as ipconfig.bmp in either case when you post your next reply use the "Go Advanced" button underneath the reply window and then use the paper clip tool on the resultant window to attach the pictures, Alternately you can type ipconfig /all >>c:\ipconfig.txt and that will or at least should put a file in the root of your C drive called ipconfig.txt which you can attach in the same manner previously described

That's good enought. Go to the other machine and open a command prompt and type ping 10.1.1.5 see what happens.

the alt prnt scrn, doesnt seem to work on the xp.

but it says

pinging 10.1.1.5 with 32 bytes of data

reply from 10.1.1.5: bytes=32 time <1ms TTL=128

ping statistics for 10.1.1.5
packets: sent = 4, received = 4, lost = 0 (o%loss),
approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
minimi = 0ms, maximum = 0ms, average = 0ms

OK. So now you have connectivity between the two machines. On the Windows 7 machine create a New Folder, call it Share. Then right click it and choose properties, under the sharing tab click the advanced sharing button, check the box that says "Share this folder" the default name should say share, now click the permissions button, highlight the word Everyone (if it's not there click the add button and add it) in the top box and then in the bottom box check the box that says allow and full control, click ok. Now go to the security tab and do the same thing. Again in this instance if the Everyone Group is not there click the edit button, then the add button, then the advanced button, then the find now button, and scroll down until you see the everyone group, select it and ok your way back to the security tab, select the everyone group and make sure it says allow full control. Now go back to the XP machine and open my computer and on the menu bar select tools, map network drive, if it defaults to Z: that's fine in the folder/location box type \\192.168.1.5\share. Now you should be able to drop your files that you want from your xp box into the Z drive and they should show up on the Win7 machine.

okay i did all that but the xp machine says the network path could not be found. i typed it in correctly.

also, when i look at computers on this network, it has the xp machine as WVF2YVGM3IWMDU7

it should be MSHOME

???

so now the xp machine has on local network
"shared docs on business computer)
(Wvf2yvgm3iwmdu7)"

and i can see the original files it had to share, from ages ago, but i cant access them. and easy transfer still doesnt work

Back