Windows 10 Stubborn Illusive Blue Screen - Need Help!

CptCaveman

Hi folks,

I'm having real trouble diagnosing a persistent blue screen problem. It started about a year ago after upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10. I initially did an upgrade install but have since performed numerous clean installs of win 10. It is a home built system. One of many I have put together over the years, but the first with any problems.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H
CPU: Intel i7 4790k
Boot drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Data drive: Hitachi HGST HDN7240.... 3TB
Video: PNY Nvidia Geforce 1060 6GB
RAM: 2x8 GB-Kit Kingston 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM XMP Beast Series
Bios in stock settings, everything on auto. No overclocking.

More information and trouble shooting that I have done:
- Analysing the dump files, it seems that most of the errors are related to memory corruption
- It is not temperature related - the case runs very cool, 65 degrees max temp with 4 cores at full load
- It doesn't happen when gaming it seems more related to how long the machine is on for. If I enable sleep/hibernation on and leave the computer for a few days, I will see (using bluescreenview) that there is a blue screen every two days or so. It seems more related to time left on and doesn't seem related to CPU load.
- I ran memtest86 with no errors. Tried a single memory stick in each slot and in each configuration, it still eventually blue screened
- I replaced the SSD so it's not that
- I replaced the video card, so it's not that either
- All my drivers are up to date (as far as I can tell).

Note about sleep/power/hibernation.
- I have a feeling that sometimes the blue screens happen when exiting from sleep.
- When I turn the machine off using "shut down" from the menu, it still wakes up. To prevent this happening, I have to turn the PSU switch off at the back of the machine. Sometimes when I do this and turn the machine on again, I will have some windows open from when I shut down - like it is saving the memory state. I have "fast startup" turned off in power settings.
- I don't think this is the root cause of anything but I imagine these sleep/wake operations are memory intensive - maybe pointing to PSU/voltages/timings?

So it seems to be that the problem is either:
- Bad PSU
- Bad motherboard
- Bad CPU
- Memory timings/voltages? (Everything is on stock/auto)

How can I rule any of these out without buying expensive stuff!?!

I would be really grateful for any assistance!

Attachments

• W7F_14-01-2018.zip
    819.6 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
They have ran that, not sure why but I needed to approve the post for it to show up.

They have ran that, not sure why but I needed to approve the post for it to show up.
Hi folks - I didn't attach the correct dump in the initial post - I edited the thread and attached the correct one - so kemical might have seen the original post which was missing the correct attachment - apologies for the confusion.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007F, {8, fffff802e408ae50, ffffe5031e031ff0, fffff802e1bea386}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mcupdate.dll
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mcupdate.dll
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!RtlDispatchException+430 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
Hi,
I can see this 'mcupdate' firing off in the call stack and having never heard of it before ran a search.

Apparently mcupdate.dll can be associated with anti virus products are you using MCAFEE or have done so in the past?
(I can see your currently running Bitdefender)

Failing that you could try running the driver verifier and see if catches anything?

Make sure you have a recovery disk or usb handy as the verifier can sometimes induce a bsod boot loop and you need to boot from the recovery disk or usb, enter safe mode and turn the verifier off.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026852/windows-create-a-recovery-drive

Driver Verifier - BSOD related - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista

Please post any new dump files as the more we see the better.

Hi,
I can see this 'mcupdate' firing off in the call stack and having never heard of it before ran a search.

Apparently mcupdate.dll can be associated with anti virus products are you using MCAFEE or have done so in the past?
(I can see your currently running Bitdefender)

Failing that you could try running the driver verifier and see if catches anything?

Thanks for that. Interesting. Just using BitDefender and to my memory have never installed any other AV...

It well be just a red herring and running the verifier may help.

Back