Windows 10 Stuck in Automatic Repair (bad sectors?)

james00007

Please help me to get my PC (MEDION Akoya P5348) out of Automatic Repair nightmare and back into windows 10.

PC has been running well for years. I changed settings in BIOS to enable onboard graphics so that I could have 3 monitors, namely: Initiate Graphic Adapter and DVMT Total Gfx Mem. This worked well and after getting the drivers I was able to run all 3 monitors. 2 GFX and 1 Onboard.

I was having problems with a program in windows with a clipboard program not copy and pasting properly. The problem with the Repair happened when I was trying to get into BIOS to change back these settings to see if that would fix the issue.

For my PC BIOS is F12 but I forgot this and was hitting F11 and Del to try to get me in and now I'm stuck.

All drives seem to be listed in BIOS.

When exiting BIOS I get:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This Product is Coveredby one of more of the follow patents: *Bunch of numbers*
Realtek PCie GBE Family Controller Series v2.53 (02/19/13)

Client Mac Addr: *Bunch of numbers*
PXE-E53: No boot filename received
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.
Press any key repeats this, reboot bring me back into Automatic Repair

When inside repair I have few options if I click continue it just brings me back into it.

System Restore didn't fix the issue.

Start-up Repair: couldn't repair your PC.

In command prompt which is where I think I might be able to get some results it shows x:\windows\system32
I read a post on selective boot up with bios that suggested

get cmd to open and check
bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /Fixboot
bootrec /rebuildBCD
and also
chkdsk /r c:
chkdsk /r d:
chkdsk /r e:
chkdsk /r f:

all I get is The system cannot find the file specified I guess because I am in x:\ rather than c:\
not sure what to do to get it to switch back to my SSD drive to run most of these.
I did manage to get chkdsk on c to work and left it running overnight, it seemed to have found bad sectors but said it was fixed.

I upgraded my PC from windows 7 a while ago online so have no Windows Disk.
Not sure what to do or try next maybe something in the command prompt?

Hi,
you can download the Windows 10 iso using the Media creation tool:
Windows 10

Once downloaded you can use it to enter the recovery section and go from there.

Thank you for your reply. I have managed to find the USB memory card I used to upgrade to windows 10 do you think it would be better to use this or create a new one?

I now can't get into BIOS with F12 to change the boot order it just brings me to the Intel UNDI part again.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I have managed to find the USB memory card I used to upgrade to windows 10 do you think it would be better to use this or create a new one?
It depends on which version is on the usb drive. If it's older version than the one offered, change it.

I now can't get into BIOS with F12 to change the boot order it just brings me to the Intel UNDI part again.
Try turning the machine off totally. Leave it for maybe 30mins and try again.

Good Luck!

Managed to get a working boot DVD. In automatic repair I clicked Use a Device pressed key to boot from CD. Options are Install now or repair your computer. I choose repair and it brings me back into automatic repair. Continue to windows bring back to automatic repair.

I have turned it off for a while to try your suggestion and can now get back into BIOS. I didn't change anything and tried booting normally and got the following screen.

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This Product is Coveredby one of more of the follow patents: *Bunch of numbers*
Realtek PCie GBE Family Controller Series v2.53 (02/19/13)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

What should I do next to get the DVD to fix my PC? Something in cmd? or Install now? Kind of lost on what to try next :(

repair your computer option when booting from the DVD just bring me back to choose a device use a USB drive, network connection or Windows recovery DVD when I select the DVD option it reboots and bring me back to automatic repair. Just not sure which options to select.

I guess because I am in x:\ rather than c:\
not sure what to do to get it to switch back to my SSD drive to run most of these.
You could always boot from the win 10 disk and install it on the SSD. Whilst in the set up stage you should be able to clear the drives as well.

my bios is a little different (hope the images work ok)
DSC_0260 2.jpg
network card is listed as boot option 7 I have now disabled this not sure if it is worth disabling the USB options too?:
DSC_0259 2.jpg
AHCI mode is selected and Launch PXE OpRom disabled:
DSC_0261 2.jpg
all Hard drives are connected as per this picture (samsung sata 85 my windows drive) not sure how to get any kind of menu that allows me to choose which drive boots first:
DSC_0258 2.jpg
Win 10 disk only gives me the option of Install now and Repair your computer. Repair is back to the loop. Is it safe to click install now? Will I lose my old installation and data from my SSD?

I may have found the problem and close to a solution just need a little more help.

It seems that my drive letters have been mixed up.

I have a lot of drives so its a little confusing and want to be sure on my next step.

I see volume 3 set to C and my SSD is volume 8 set to E (I think this is my windows install?).

a little confused on what to do next to get these in the right order using diskpart options:

select disk 0 ; selects the first disk
list volume ;shows all of the volumes on the selected disk and their drive letter and size
select volume 0 ; used to select the volume on the first disk
assign letter=e ; changes the drive letter assignment to a new drive letter e in this case.
list volume ; use this to show your changes are what you want them to be.
select volume 2 ; this is the volume that has windows on my machine and needs to be set to drive c
assign letter=c ; this assigns the drive letter to that volume
list volume ; use this to confirm your changes=
exit ; use this to exit the diskparm.exe program

Hmm... Try unplugging all the drives except the SSD. Boot from your install media, wipe the drive and install a fresh clean copy of Win 10.

Once you have completed the install then add back the drive that was C and you should find it will choose another letter probably D.

If successful keep adding the drives back one by one.

Hi, I'm having similar problems with my automatic repair. I don't really know too much about computers, but I can explain everything that I think I know about it:
- Firstly I must have forced closed down my laptop (a Lenovo), which is what brought it on I guess.
- it either starts with the spinning wheel and the Lenovo logo, and does nothing. Or it says "to skip disk checking, press any key in 8 seconds". If I press a key, it freezes and the wheel keeps spinning. If I leave it, it instantly checks and repairs to 100% and then freezes.
-sometimes it'll open a window for a millisecond, before going black again. And sometimes it'll go to a black screen but the cursor is still there.
-pressing f8 doesn't work. One time it went to a blue menu which offered some suggestions. Im afraid I forgot what I selected but it got me back to square 1.
Could anyone give me some advice? I'd start a new thread but I'm afraid I don't know how. Thank you.

It means that the disk structure has become corrupted and can't be repaired.
Perhaps you can restore to factory settings, in most PC's is it an option at boot time. The screen with the Lenovo logo (or what ever logo you see) just after power on, tells you most often which key to press to start it. If not look it up in the user guide. But by doing this you will lose any data.

Back