Windows 7 Subdirectory lost when converting from Vista to W7

Buford

Vista created a subdirectory named Buford, and stored data from certain programs (e.g., Garmin MapSource waypoints/track files) in that subdirectory. I cannot find this subdirectory in W7. Please advise.

Vista did not create the directory, the user (yourslef?) did it. If you overwrote the same partition that had Vista on it, then the folder would have been eliminated.
However, you may find it in the reserved , newly created, folder "Win.old"

The easiest thing might be to do a search for the folder starting the the root directory. Do you remember the full path to the folder?

But Davehc's suggestion is good since if you have that folder (maybe Windows.old), the old install should be pretty much there.

First, Davehc is wrong about who created the Buford folder. When I got the computer, Vista was pre-installed, and on the first boot-up asked me what my name is. I Typed "Buford" and it then created the Buford folder within the 'Favorites' folder. I never created that folder - Vista created it and placed it within the Favorites folder, and then placed my Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos directories within the Buford directory. Windows 7 then hid or deleted the Buford directory and placed my Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos folders within a new folder called 'Libraries.' I can find all my documents, pictures, videos, and music in the proper folders, but the folder formerly called 'Garmin' is now hidden. It is not lost. I can find all the user files that are in it, but must do so by (a) opening Garmin user software or (b) doing a Start > Search operation or (c) opening the Recent Places folder. Therefore, I cannot manipulate files in Windows Explorer as easily as I can for other documents, pictures, etc. It would be simpler if Windows Explorer displayed the Garmin user files as Vista did.

It is possible that Windows 7 simply renamed the Buford folder to 'Libraries,' but if so, it still hid the Garmin user files (and possibly other files) from the usual Windows Explorer folders.

Secondly, I'm not sure we are on the same wavelength re win.old and windows.old. Doing a Start > Search as you both recommended produces 3 identical rtf files on how to install Windows 7. That search did not find any folders despite you both telling me that it would. Why do you think doing a Search on win.old or windows.old will lead to a folder? Regardless, Windows 7 is now installed, and I don't need to do that again. What am I missing?

The Buford folder under discussion is likely your user folder. So....
How did you get from Windows Vista to Windows 7? Upgrade or Custom Clean install?
Are you currently using a different username (something other than Buford) on the Windows 7 install?
Check C:\Users see if there is a Buford folder there?
Check C:\ see if there is a Windows.OLD folder there that may contain a user folder named Buford.
Check the root of all drives and or partitions and see if there is a Windows.OLD folder there that may contain a user folder named Buford.
Regards
Randy

Randy
“How did you get from Windows Vista to Windows 7? Upgrade or Custom Clean install?”
Upgrade.
“Are you currently using a different username (something other than Buford) on the Windows 7 install?”
I was not asked for such a thing during the upgrade.
“Check C:\Users see if there is a Buford folder there?”
Yes, there is such a folder.
“Check C:\ see if there is a Windows.OLD folder there that may contain a user folder named Buford.”
No, there is no folder there named Buford.
“Check the root of all drives and or partitions and see if there is a Windows.OLD folder there that may contain a user”
No, there is no such folder under either C:\ or D:\

There is a pretty handy search tool called "Everything" you can get it from VoidTools here Download Everything
Download and install it and see if you can do a search of your hard drive(s) for the extensions that the Garmin program used to store the files (likely .gdb or .gpx)
just use an asterisk as a wild card and type *.gdb and or *.gpx and see if it locates any such files and note the path.

What’s there to be confused about?

Previous advice from Davehc and Saltgrass was incorrect. Windows 7 Explorer hid my Garmin user-files folder and you helped me find it. Now I can manipulate my Garmin user files, whereas before I could not; likewise, Trimble GPS shape files, slideshows, and some other folders. As a result, I can now manipulate/organize those files (although in a more cumbersome manner than with Vista) within Windows Explorer. For that, I thank you.

IMO, W7 should follow Vista’s lead in placing Garmin user-files folder (and folders containing user files for other programs) in the Libraries folder along with documents, pictures, etc. It is also annoying that I cannot move other folders into the Library folder. IMO, I should be able to add folders to the Libraries folder, since I use Garmin files as often as I use pictures and document files. After all, it is my computer, not Microsoft’s, and I should be able to organize my files and folders based on what is best for me. Since that is not your bailiwick, perhaps you can pass it on to Windows code writers. Thank you.

As a result, I can now manipulate/organize those files (although in a more cumbersome manner than with Vista) within Windows Explorer. For that, I thank you.
OK, then. For that you are welcome.
IMO, W7 should follow Vista’s lead in placing Garmin user-files folder (and folders containing user files for other programs) in the Libraries folder along with documents, pictures, etc. It is also annoying that I cannot move other folders into the Library folder. IMO, I should be able to add folders to the Libraries folder, since I use Garmin files as often as I use pictures and document files. After all, it is my computer, not Microsoft’s, and I should be able to organize my files and folders based on what is best for me. Since that is not your bailiwick, perhaps you can pass it on to Windows code writers. Thank you.
It is more often than not the software vendor who decides the data structure and where the files created by its' program will be located. (Always ticked me off that QuickBooks kept its' QBW file in the Program directory)
But having said that, if you know and understand the data structure and where and in what folder the files you need to access are located it is relatively easy to right click the folder and choose add to library or choose to create a new library.
Good luck and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Regards
Randy

Back