Windows 7 Suddenly Windows wants to dial an internet connection

draexo

Suddenly, my direct connected (Cat 5 to the broadband modem) computer is asking me to dial a connection. It no longer seems to know that it is simply connected. When I look at the devices tab, it shows Enabled for my network card and I have tried to reinstall the drivers.

I dual boot with Ubuntu and Ubuntu is able to access the internet (and network) fine.

It seems Windows 7 just stopped using the card and is trying to use a dial up.

This all happened after a sudden start up error.

I tried to restore to a different restore point, however no matter which I try, they are all "unsuccessful".

Hello draexo,
2a99y0o.jpg
to Windows 7 Forums,

Have a look here to make sure your settings are correct;
Control Panel\Network and Internet, then click on Internet Options, make sure the settings are as in the pic provided, including the blank dialog box for Dial-Up and Virtual Private Network settings;

ff673b.jpg

Keep us posted,

Don

Well, before I saw your post, I deleted the network adapter, thinking Windows would reinstall the driver for it. I took the drivers from the manufacturers site (ASUS) and tried to reinstall them. For what it is worth, these are the same drivers that I used for the initial install. The drivers seem to have reinstalled fine.

When I boot into Windows 7, the router does not even see the network card. When I boot into Ubuntu, the router sees the computer with no issue and it works fine.

Everything is already configured the way it should be in your picture. When I click "set up an internet connection" the only option I am given is "Broadband PPPoE", which requires a user name and password. This is not correct. Yet it is the only option.

Back