Synchornize "This computer only" folders

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software' started by quas, Apr 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. quas

quas Senior Member

While moving some folders from a loca .pst to an imap account, Outlook suffixed "This computer only" on almost each folder. I've no idea why this is happening. I'm sure I have enough space on the e-mail server and there aren't any restrictions in this respect.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can synchronize these folders? I don't want to get rid of them, they're important, so I'd like to get them on the server.

Thanks!

2. holdum333

holdum333 Banned

Hi! I have way to much free time on my hands and I don't like to see a thread not being replied to. I'm a gmail person and I know nothing about Outlook, but Google is my friend and I know how to use it very well. Here's what I get from Google. You may get more replies from other members latter!
    What you need to know about IMAP Accounts in Outlook 2013/2016

3. bochane

bochane Honorable Member

The only time I have done this was by creating in Outlook a new account that loads from the imap server. Then I copied the mails from the local computer into a map on the imap server. And that was a time consuming job, many - many emails uploading with usually a lower speed....
    As far as I know copying .pst files won't work here.

4. quas

quas Senior Member

What do you mean copying .pst files won't work here? Copying them where?
    I've just logged in with another new account, and the Drafts folder shows up with "This computer only" also. I haven't copied anything. And I still don't understand why. It makes no sense to me.

5. bochane

bochane Honorable Member

Ok, I understood the following. 'While moving some folders from a loca .pst to an imap account': that means that there are 2 maps, one where your local email is and one on the IMAP server. You wanted to move emails from the first to the second. And you tried that by moving a .pst file from the first to the second. Correct me if I am wrong.

Well, that is copying a .pst file from your pc to a directory on the external IMAP server and that won't work. It will work on the local computer to the local computer but not from the local computer to an external IMAP server.
    You have to copy the emails by right clicking them and replacing them to the IMAP directories.

I hope I understood you and that I explained it sufficiently. If not keep asking, you are welcome.

Henk

#5 bochane, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  6. quas

quas Senior Member

Well, what's the proper way of moving your e-mail to imap, basically? The thing is, if I move e-mails themselves, it always work. But when I have a directory tree, it's different and more complicated. I sometimes come across this problem. It does not occur in Thunderbird and in Outlook it also works with other accounts through drag and drop.
    So I don't think things simply narrow down to "you cannot move mails from .pst to .ost".

7. bochane

bochane Honorable Member

Sorry, it was 3 years back that I did it and I don't have access to those computers these days.
    What I remember is what I told you; I had to move all the emails separately or in groups by right clicking them and copy them to an IMAP directory. In fact you upload them to the IMAP server. And that was very very time consuming....
    Sorry again that I am unable to give detailed instructions.
    Anyway I hope this helps

Henk

8. Neemobeer

Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

If all the folders say "This computer only" then you may have a sync problem. If you want to move email from pst (POP3) data files to an IMAP account you want to do the following.
    • In the IMAP account in outlook you will need to manually recreate any folders that you have from the POP3 account. DO not copy the folders over they won't sync to the server.
    • After you have the folders setup, simply drag and drop your emails from the POP3 account into whichever folder you want them in. This should sync them to the server provide you can resolve the "This computer only", this message should only be on the sync folder.

"This computer only" things to check
    • Make sure Outlook shows that you are Online or Connected
    • Right click on any folder in your IMAP account and select IMAP Folders and verify your folders are subscribed
    If none of this helps please post your Outlook version and a screenshot of your IMAP navigation pane.

9. Verki

Verki Active Member

10. bochane

bochane Honorable Member

No, it is an Outlook task.
    Outlook has to transfer local emails to directories on the IMAP server. Third party backup software has no access to an IMAP server.