Synchornize "This computer only" folders

quas

While moving some folders from a loca .pst to an imap account, Outlook suffixed "This computer only" on almost each folder. I've no idea why this is happening. I'm sure I have enough space on the e-mail server and there aren't any restrictions in this respect.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can synchronize these folders? I don't want to get rid of them, they're important, so I'd like to get them on the server.

Thanks!

While moving some folders from a loca .pst to an imap account, Outlook suffixed "This computer only" on almost each folder. I've no idea why this is happening. I'm sure I have enough space on the e-mail server and there aren't any restrictions in this respect.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can synchronize these folders? I don't want to get rid of them, they're important, so I'd like to get them on the server.

Thanks!
The only time I have done this was by creating in Outlook a new account that loads from the imap server. Then I copied the mails from the local computer into a map on the imap server. And that was a time consuming job, many - many emails uploading with usually a lower speed....
As far as I know copying .pst files won't work here.

What do you mean copying .pst files won't work here? Copying them where?
I've just logged in with another new account, and the Drafts folder shows up with "This computer only" also. I haven't copied anything. And I still don't understand why. It makes no sense to me.

What do you mean copying .pst files won't work here? Copying them where?
I've just logged in with another new account, and the Drafts folder shows up with "This computer only" also. I haven't copied anything. And I still don't understand why. It makes no sense to me.
Ok, I understood the following. 'While moving some folders from a loca .pst to an imap account': that means that there are 2 maps, one where your local email is and one on the IMAP server. You wanted to move emails from the first to the second. And you tried that by moving a .pst file from the first to the second. Correct me if I am wrong.

Well, that is copying a .pst file from your pc to a directory on the external IMAP server and that won't work. It will work on the local computer to the local computer but not from the local computer to an external IMAP server.
You have to copy the emails by right clicking them and replacing them to the IMAP directories.

I hope I understood you and that I explained it sufficiently. If not keep asking, you are welcome.

Henk

Last edited:
Well, what's the proper way of moving your e-mail to imap, basically? The thing is, if I move e-mails themselves, it always work. But when I have a directory tree, it's different and more complicated. I sometimes come across this problem. It does not occur in Thunderbird and in Outlook it also works with other accounts through drag and drop.
So I don't think things simply narrow down to "you cannot move mails from .pst to .ost".

Sorry, it was 3 years back that I did it and I don't have access to those computers these days.
What I remember is what I told you; I had to move all the emails separately or in groups by right clicking them and copy them to an IMAP directory. In fact you upload them to the IMAP server. And that was very very time consuming....
Sorry again that I am unable to give detailed instructions.
Anyway I hope this helps

Henk

If all the folders say "This computer only" then you may have a sync problem. If you want to move email from pst (POP3) data files to an IMAP account you want to do the following.
  • In the IMAP account in outlook you will need to manually recreate any folders that you have from the POP3 account. DO not copy the folders over they won't sync to the server.
  • After you have the folders setup, simply drag and drop your emails from the POP3 account into whichever folder you want them in. This should sync them to the server provide you can resolve the "This computer only", this message should only be on the sync folder.

"This computer only" things to check
  • Make sure Outlook shows that you are Online or Connected
  • Right click on any folder in your IMAP account and select IMAP Folders and verify your folders are subscribed
If none of this helps please post your Outlook version and a screenshot of your IMAP navigation pane.

I also have that same thing in my directory under gmail. There is NO sync problems. I can write an email from gmail on the web and it shows as sent in the Sent folder in Outlook 2013. It will pick the message sent from gmail on the web and bring it right into my Outlook 2013. When I check the dates, everything is in sync. I've tried this over and over and there is no problems with it being in sync. Both the web and Outlook 2013 show everything the same, they both work flawlessly without any errors showing.
I was under the impression something might go out of kilter between the web and Outlook 2013 but nothing yet. If I'm misunderstanding something, please let me know.

@quas: I am facing the same problem: I want the mail folders of my old pop3 pst-file to be uploaded to the server of my current imap account. So I copied the folders in the Outlook Folder Pane (drag&drop while pressing ctrl) from the pst folder to the imap folder. First of all, it took some restarts of Outlook before the synchronisation would eventually start; but even after it did I got several folders with the "(This computer only)" suffix in the imap folder (in Outlook, not on the server) which would not be synchronised to the imap server.

However, the affected folders all had a slash ("/") in their name!

So I could work around this by renaming them in the original pst folder and repeating the whole copying from pst to the imap folder.

Maybe your folders also have some special characters in their names?

@LinuxLF
Hi,

I wrote this post some time ago, so I moved on, as it were. Anyway, the reason why those slashes appear I'm guessing is simply a way of delimiting that folders. And the problem is that someone (the server or outlook) doesn't know to interpret it. And yes, they're probably interpreted literally as part of the folder name. Or something like that.

@quas: What I was referring to with "slashes" were folder names like "family / friends". So the slashed were put there deliberately by myself in the pst folder naming. But apparently imap does not accept this.

Back