Windows 10 System became very slow and laggy after restart, disk usage 100% with average response time 9198 ms

Cynthia

I was using my computer like normal and everything was fine, couldn't connect to a friend's WiFi so I restarted my computer. It took over 30 minutes to boot back up, with half that time being on my desktop loading applications. Everything that I tried to click was being very slow. I Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up task manager and that took 5 minutes to pull up. Saw that disk usage was at 100%, but the programs that were running fluctuated in percentage being used by Win 10. The main culprits right now are Service Host: Local Service, Service Host: Local System, Microsoft Software Protection something, Google Chrome (even though I don't have it open), settings, System etc. These are never at the same time, 3 or 4 fluctuate very rapidly (changes every second) under my disk column.

Under my performance tab I have Active Time 100%, Read speed 0.0 KB/s-880 KB/s (it fluctuates), write speed 0.0 KB/s-28.7 KB/s, my average response time goes from 2000-9000 ms (again, it changes every second)

I've tried a lot of things suggested from Google, but I haven't found a thread where the person's computer has been super slow, just slow (5 minutes long) boot up times. My problem surpasses the boot up.

I turned off SuperSearch, Background Intelligent Transfer Service, I even tried reseting my computer. It went through a 2 hour process, only to turn on and say that something went wrong and my PC wasn't reset. I restarted my computer a couple of times but it still goes through the same long boot up process.

I'm currently trying to expand my virtual memory, but EVERY click I do takes minutes to load. The currently allocated memory is already at 8192 MB, so I don't think that is the problem. Now it's asking me to restart my computer, which I'm afraid to do because I know it'll take 30+ minutes to become SLIGHTLY functional again.

I'm very frustrated, I've been at it since yesterday afternoon and nothing has changed, I've got a mountain of schoolwork to get done and I'm really hoping someone will help me find a solution.

My laptop is a samsung NP550P5C-T01US. I'm running Windows 10, upgraded over a month ago from Windows 7. 8 GBs of ram, Intel i7-3610QM CPU @2.30 Ghz 2.30 Ghz, 64 bit system, my disk is Hitachi HTS727575A9E364. Under Performance in Task Manager, my CPU is at 0%, Memory 20%, Disk 100%

At the end of writing this, I'm going to restart my computer after changing the virtual memory, doubt that will work but will update the post.

EDIT: Rebooted computer, still very slow so virtual memory didn't change anything. Currently going through the painstaking process of disabling Windows Defender

Last edited:
Disabling Windows Defender won't speed up your computer.
Start up in save mode and try to find out which proces causes the sky high disk usage.

Hi synthia.
It sounds like you could be running out of space on your hard drive, check how much space is left on your c:drive.

Also right click your c: drive go to properties/tools and run disk cleanup.

Then check for malware. Run a free program called malawarebytes it will scan your drives for infections .

If that don't speed things up a bit and the laptop is still really slow please reply back.

Hi synthia.
It sounds like you could be running out of space on your hard drive, check how much space is left on your c:drive.

Then check for malware. Run a free program called malawarebytes it will scan your drives for infections .

If that don't speed things up a bit and the laptop is still really slow please reply back.
I've got 93.8 GB free of 338 GB on my C: drive, and my partioned drive had 48.2 free of 336 GB. I will run disk clean up.

Hi synthia.

It's been stuck at Scanning: System error memory dump files. Is it safe to go into the C: drive and delete it manually while the disk cleanup is running

Hi synthia.

- Album on Imgur

I ran CrystalDiskInfo and this is what I received. I don't understand what it means, could you translate it for me?

- Album on Imgur

I ran CrystalDiskInfo and this is what I received. I don't understand what it means, could you translate it for me?

Could mean your hard drive is failing,
right click on the start button and Open a cmpd prompt, Run chkdsk /F (F= Check disk for errors)
if it finds any errors you would be wise to backup all your needed/important files asap, as the drive could fail at any time and you would loose all data.

Could mean your hard drive is failing,
right click on the start button and Open a cmpd prompt, Run chkdsk /F (F= Check disk for errors)
if it finds any errors you would be wise to backup all your needed/important files asap, as the drive could fail at any time and you would loose all data.

The CMD prompt said:

Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode. I have never heard of this mode before.

you need to run CMD in admin mode type CMD into cortana search bar and right click and run as administrator.

Thanks, did that but now it says:

The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.

How can I find out what that process is?

Paul, I really appreciate your help with this!

Thanks, did that but now it says:

The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.

How can I find out what that process is?

Paul, I really appreciate your help with this!

Looked it up, I will be rebooting to give Chkdsk exclusive access to my drive.

Most likely, your hard disk is on its end! A disk with these error rates should be replaced anyway.

If you want to save anything from it you may be better of by stopping further testing, before it gives up for ever..

Most likely, your hard disk is on its end! A disk with these error rates should be replaced anyway.

If you want to save anything from it you may be better of by stopping further testing, before it gives up for ever..

Is there any way to find out if that's exactly what the problem is? I wouldn't want to buy one and replace and not have it fix the problem.

On a similar note, is it worth replacing just the hard disk on a computer that old? Should I just look for a new one? The specs are Samsung NP550P5C-T01US. 8 GBs of ram, Intel i7-3610QM CPU @2.30 Ghz 2.30 Ghz, 64 bit system

Specs look fine but it depends how critical your data is. I would get your data off that drive or you could loose it.
Then replace the drive with a new sold state drive (SSD) the largest you can afford. That should make it very responsive.
There are programs you could try to fix the drive but as bochane said you could loose the drive and data.

Specs look fine but it depends how critical your data is. I would get your data off that drive or you could loose it.
Then replace the drive with a new sold state drive (SSD) the largest you can afford. That should make it very responsive.
There are programs you could try to fix the drive but as bochane said you could loose the drive and data.

I found this, it's within my price range but I don't know hard drive brands to know if it's a good deal or not. What do you think?

Crucial BX100 CT250BX100SSD1 2.5" 250GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Do I need a special install kit?

That will be fine. If you check out these two links you should find all the info you need.
Computer memory and SSD upgrades for Samsung Series 5 NP550P5C-T01US from Crucial
http://www.crucial.com/wcsstore/Cru...ssd/crucial-2-5-inch-ssd-install-guide-en.pdf

Crucial has a very good name in the SSD market as well and they perform great, I have 2 x Crucial MX200 500gb SSD's running together (Raid 0) in my main desktop PC and they have never missed a beat.

And all the tools you need to change the drives over is a small cross-head screwdriver.

Do you have access to another PC/laptop/usb thumb drive or portable hard drive ? you will need one to get your files off the old HDD. If you need them that is.
If you do download a (free) copy of Macrium Reflect backup software Macrium Reflect Free you can clone the entire disk onto the SSD.
If you don't need any files saving you can just swap out the drives and install a fresh copy of windows 10. by following these instructions. ....Windows 10
If you need more help just reply in this thread.

Enjoy the increased speed of that SSD.

Hi

Just did the SSD thing myself, it was painless.
Plugged it in booted my computer, to my old hard drive, formatted the new drive to NTFS.

Shut down, unplugged my old drive.

Restarted and restored Windows 8, to the SSD ( I had to do the upgrade to 10 to get out of the insider program ) and it all went great.

I bought a Samsung SSD, it has a nice utility for setting it up that has the install file on the drive....

SSD_zpsw4atdn7p.jpg

The performance is great, my computer never felt so snappy.

Mike

Back