Windows 7 system image backup failure in Windows 7 error code 0X8007002

Andr

I have a DEll XPS 8500 with Windows 7 64 bits. I am trying to backup the data to an external HDD (WD 500 GB) connected to USB 3.0 using W7 backup function. The USB 3.0 is based on intel drivers.My whole C disk contains approx 110 GB data (should fit in my external HDD without problems).
W7 backup function allows to define what should be backed up (data and/or system image). When I try to create and backup a system image (using windows 7 backup), the backup fails with the error code "0X8007002 cannot find specified file".
If I backup only the "libraries" (data), the backup is completed without problems.
Any suggestions about problems that are causing this system image backup failure? Any solutions?

Just so I understand, you are using the Image Only version of the backup to the USB 3.0 drive? You are imaging the System Partition and the C: partition?

Does your external drive work normally otherwise, and is found for a possible backup location?

Do you have any library folders that are not on one of the imaged partitions?

FYI, when you do get it to work, be advised if you try to restore an image using a USB 3.0 device in a USB 3.0 only port, it probably not work. You should be able to move it to a backward compatible port.

I have a DEll XPS 8500 with Windows 7 64 bits. I am trying to backup the data to an external HDD (WD 500 GB) connected to USB 3.0 using W7 backup function. The USB 3.0 is based on intel drivers.My whole C disk contains approx 110 GB data (should fit in my external HDD without problems).
W7 backup function allows to define what should be backed up (data and/or system image). When I try to create and backup a system image (using windows 7 backup), the backup fails with the error code "0X8007002 cannot find specified file".
If I backup only the "libraries" (data), the backup is completed without problems.
Any suggestions about problems that are causing this system image backup failure? Any solutions?

Hi,
I have the same problem with the MSI GT70 Notebook when I connect a WD 1TB directly to the Intel USB 3.0 port. I can copy data without problems using windows explorer, but when trying a Windows 7 (x64) create system image it fails every time with 0x80070002.
When the error occurs the drive disconnects and reconnects right after the error.
MSI and WD are both aware of the problem, but do not have a solution yet, it appears to be a power problem on the USB 3.0 port when Widows 7 backup tries to write.

If I connect the drive using a USB 3.0 external hub with its own power supply the backup works fine every time, but fails solid if the drive is connected directly to the PC.

Back
Top Bottom